Level 6 Maths

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

herty

Re: Level 6 Maths

Post by herty »

In this area, all selective schools have maths as well as VR papers so I suspect most kids on this forum will have covered those italicised topics with either a parent or a tutor - I certainly did with my dd, having no idea they weren't included! The only exception for me is drawing graphs, tables etc - I only covered interpreting them rather than creating them, but not a huge conceptual jump.

I think the Level 6 paper is good because it motivates students - it encourages those in the top group/s to try a bit harder so whether it works in itself I think it's a good 'carrot'.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I think you could aim for 100% in the KS2 test - isn't that a carrot? I have seen very few of those over the years ...

We'll agree to disagree about the 'benefits' ...

Lara228 - why are you not suggesting the Primary Maths Challenge, NRICH etc? Sorry, Primary school teachers won't have had access to the KS3 new curriculum training or know about the new GCSE so they won't necessarily know 'how' to teach the topics to support where these topics lead in the future.
workhard

Post by workhard »

Guest55, This is what happened at my DD's primary school:

The new Head's high pay meant that the school was one teacher short. The head also turned out to be weak and simply dishonest. She would physically run away from some of us in the school playground in the morning.

DD was bored and felt neglected for her last two years. No maths new to her was taught at school in these two years.

There was no teacher or TA with even one Physics or Maths A Level, let alone any comparable degree. There was no love of Maths (or Science) communicated to the kids, but plenty of enthusiasm for singing and acting.

The Year 6 teacher was an exception and a fine all round teacher. But he openly admitted that he was swamped with the challenge of getting some kids - class size 30 - up to even level 3, let alone level 4, in English and Maths.

A TA used to take a small group for Maths from time to time. She wasn't much of a teacher and, when she fell ill, even this irregular provision stopped.

By the way, I was teaching a bit of secondary Maths at the time. So I gave DD two secondary Level 5-7 papers to do. Her marks showed her to be 6c/b. It gave her a challenge and a bit of confidence. (She is by no means a natural mathematician.)

As a parent, I do not care about levels, just that she should be engaged and challenged.

WH
leanmeamum

Post by leanmeamum »

Guest55 wrote:Level 5 APP - not all of level 5 just the 'signposts'
Using and Applying

identify and obtain necessary information to carry through a task and solve mathematical problems check results, considering whether these are reasonable
solve word problems and investigations from a range of contexts
show understanding of situations by describing them mathematically using symbols, words and diagrams
draw simple conclusions of their own and give an explanation of their reasoning

Algebra
construct, express in symbolic form, and use simple formulae involving one or two operations
use and interpret coordinates in all four quadrants

Numbers and the Number system
use understanding of place value to multiply and divide whole numbers and decimals by 10, 100 and 1000 and explain the effect
round decimals to the nearest decimal place and order negative numbers in context
recognise and use number patterns and relationships
use equivalence between fractions and order fractions and decimals
reduce a fraction to its simplest form by cancelling common factors
understand simple ratio

Calculating
use known facts, place value, knowledge of operations and brackets to calculate including using all four operations with decimals to two places
use a calculator where appropriate to calculate fractions/percentages of quantities/measurements understand and use an appropriate non-calculator method for solving problems that involve multiplying and dividing any three digit number by any two-digit number
solve simple problems involving ordering, adding, subtracting negative numbers in context
solve simple problems involving ratio and direct proportion
apply inverse operations and approximate to check answers to problems are of the correct magnitude

Shape, Space and Measures
use a wider range of properties of 2-D and 3-D shapes and identify all the symmetries of 2-D shapes
use language associated with angle and know and use the angle sum of a triangle and that of angles at a point
reason about position and movement and transform shapes
measure and draw angles to the nearest degree, when constructing models and drawing or using shapes
read and interpret scales on a range of measuring instruments, explaining what each labelled division represents
solve problems involving the conversion of units and make sensible estimates of a range of measures in relation to everyday situations
understand and use the formula for the area of a rectangle and distinguish area from perimeter

Handling Data
ask questions, plan how to answer them and collect the data required
in probability, select methods based on equally likely outcomes and experimental evidence, as appropriate
understand and use the probability scale from 0 to 1
understand and use the mean of discrete data and compare two simple distributions, using the range and one of mode, median or mean
understand that different outcomes may result from repeating an experiment
interpret graphs and diagrams, including pie charts, and draw conclusions
create and interpret line graphs where the intermediate values have meaning

I have italicised things that are not taught in Primary - most Year 7s cannot draw to the nearest degree.
This is excellent - my son can do almost all of it. His school is pushing the maths & has finished most of the year 7 syllabus & is onto the year 8 topics as well. It's a prep school & they have decided to keep pushing the kids in the top set (who were all tutored - home or outside). I think it is good because the children don't get bored & regress.

The level 6 papers might be just for homework as they do Cats (and now I know there is no syllabus for that but ability is tested)

Thanks for the help - I was just confused why they were given level 6 papers when they are not actually tested externally on that. The Cats might just help the school in preparing future students as it will give them an idea what stage they need to be when they go in for secondary school selection. They know who got the offers & can now work out where they are compared to the national average. They did INCAS earlier but decided to drop them last year.
leanmeamum

Post by leanmeamum »

I forgot to mention that the school is using year 7 & 8 text books to teach so the whole topic is covered & not patches of it. We also work at home with him. They were tested in school using Wigan Lea & Incas tests.
lara228

Post by lara228 »

Guest55 wrote:I think you could aim for 100% in the KS2 test - isn't that a carrot? I have seen very few of those over the years ...

We'll agree to disagree about the 'benefits' ...

Lara228 - why are you not suggesting the Primary Maths Challenge, NRICH etc? Sorry, Primary school teachers won't have had access to the KS3 new curriculum training or know about the new GCSE so they won't necessarily know 'how' to teach the topics to support where these topics lead in the future.

Because, as I have stated before, my DSs school, along with countless other state juniors, WILL NOT extend their teaching beyond what is needed for level 4/5 KS2 - they have no statutory incentive, therefore, disincentivized headteachers + lazy teachers = bored bright pupils.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Complain then! Go to the Govenors and the LA.

How old are these Y7 and Y8 texts? They need to be in line with the new curriculum to really support the child. PM me the title and I'll comment.
lara228

Post by lara228 »

Guest55 wrote:Complain then! Go to the Govenors and the LA.

How old are these Y7 and Y8 texts? They need to be in line with the new curriculum to really support the child. PM me the title and I'll comment.

Ah the Governors - the same esteemed body that suggested to the Year 5/6 parents we should consider sending our DCs to a not very local state secondary school that was until recently failing and is situated in a very rough part of the borough - whilst all of their DCs will be safely ensconced in nice fee paying independents!!!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

There are parent Govenors and a formal complaint has to be treated properly.

Why don't you go on Ofsted Parent view and have your say - alongwith a few friends? Might trigger an inspection ...
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

As I understand it special educational needs was always designed to cater for the most able as well as the least able. There should be at least one teacher in your primary school who would be able to cover some KS3 maths topics with those students who have completed the KS2 syllabus. I know of several primary schools that offer this to highly able KS2 pupils. There are also maths workshops such as Whizzkids and the Herts County Maths Challenge as well as the Junior Maths Challenge. I would suggest you make an appointment with your teacher and/or the Maths co-ordinator and make a formal request for extension activities. Then follow up in writing with the governor responsible for Maths. It is not acceptable for these students not to be catered for.

Guest55, I would be grateful if you could recommend some good KS3 maths books. My dds are in Y7 and Y8 and I like to make sure they are where they should be in the new KS3 syllabus. We are currently working with the WH Smith Revise Maths Year 7 and Year 8 books published in 2007. But I know there has been a revision since then. Can you suggest a publication that will cover the new syllabus? Thanks DG
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now