Testing abuse! No wonder its so hard!

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11nuts

Testing abuse! No wonder its so hard!

Post by 11nuts »

I was talking to a parnet, who was not giving anything away but his son let it slip that they were also planning on doing the 11+ in Birmingham for the King Edward schools(?).

Just wondering how he has managed to register his son in both locations and if this legal?

I cannt believe that this kind of abuse goes on with the system, it stops people from gaining entry into selective schools with people doing such.

Really not well pleased with this.
nicolajane1971

Re: Testing abuse! No wonder its so hard!

Post by nicolajane1971 »

Hiya,

Birmingham are super selective therefore no catchment, children come from all over the place!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Some people do register their child for more than one area -sometimes for practice, sometimes as they are planning to move.

my DC did the exam in areas 100 miles (the area we were moving to and also where we were currently living in case something went wrong with the move)

In many areas they are not bothered by the address on the registration form - the one that goes on the CAF can be more important if catchment comes into play. They can of course only complete one CAF when the results are in. The thing that would not be legal is sending in 2 CAFs from different addresses.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I dont see how it stops other people getting in. You can only take up one school place so now matter how many exams for school places you sit in various counties you can only use one of them. I know many people who sit Tiffin in Surrey and HBS in Barnet and move house to be closer to the one they get into. I know someone who sat QE boys from Singapore and a dad on here had a ds who sat from Newcastle. In my opinion you should sit as many exams as you can, both my dds sat nine and got better in each one. DG
11nuts

Post by 11nuts »

We were solely focused on our top 3 and not undertaking any additional tests. However you have raised a valid point that completing more tests, will help with the target school.

With Kind Regards, SK.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

On second thoughts you could always move to a sparsely populated part of the country and just take the one!
londonmum35

Post by londonmum35 »

But surely for schools where there are two rounds, and eg only the top 500 (and those on equal scores) make it through to the second round, some kids miss out on getting to that second round as places have been taken by kids with higher scores who used it only to practise. I have always found it unfair when I hear of kids who miss out. In the past I have heard of kids getting through the first round who had no intention of even sitting the second round, surely they have taken someone's place?

But perhaps it works both ways, maybe some of the kids who used it as a practice (or is it practise? this one always gets me) were not really ready, so it may have skewed the standardised score to make the average result lower?

Anyway, not many schools have two rounds anymore so it does not matter when there is only one round, I guess.
Mindset

Post by Mindset »

londonmum35 wrote: But perhaps it works both ways, maybe some of the kids who used it as a practice (or is it practise? this one always gets me) were not really ready, so it may have skewed the standardised score to make the average result
I remember it using advice/advise. The c and s work the same way (advise/practise being the verbs). I think it always works!

M