Try for selective?

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Greenleaf

Try for selective?

Post by Greenleaf »

My daughter goes into y6 this week - she is very happy in her good state primary. We live near a good state secondary which has had very good a level results.

My daughter was level 5 in reading, writing and maths and is described as -extremely able. I am not sure whether to apply to parmiters or dao given that transport would be a problem but I think she could get into a selective. I've spoken to her teacher who thInks she would do well wherever. What would you do? Is parmiters really worth her spending an hour plus commuting each day?
piggys

Re: Try for selective?

Post by piggys »

Hi Greenleaf. You are too late to apply for either of those schools I'm afraid, if your dd starts Y6 this week.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Hi Greenleaf,

Long Journey posted this today:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 18&t=27305" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

eta: Parmiter's is a lovely school but an hour + is a long time.
Greenleaf

Post by Greenleaf »

Ah! thanks for replies. I thought it would be same time as other state schools in our area! Journey would be a pain (might apply to habs though ;))
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Applying for the schools is 31st October, same as all other Herts Schools but applying to sit the test was in June/July and sitting the test is in September. DAO was today and Parmiters is the week after next. Your school should have given you this information. Do you have any history of students from your school applying to these schools? It is a shame your dd has missed the opportunity to sit these exams. My dd's go to DAO and enjoy being with lots of other very able children instead of being in primary with just a handful of able children. Did you not see the information about the DAO open day in July? If your dd is very able she will enjoy being with other able students. I would try calling Parmiters tomorrow and see if they will accept a late application. Dd can sit the test and experience being at the school. She will get a feel very quickly about if she enjoys the environment. Depending on where you are you could also consider a late application to Henrietta Barnet. If you are in DAO and Parmiters catchment I am guessing you are perhaps Hatfield/Colney Heath. Did your dd do the Herts Maths challenge in Year Five or the Junior Maths Challenge? I would question that you are at a very good state primary as in my opinion they have not given you and your dd access to all the opportunities open to her. You can pm me if you would prefer. Habs and St Albans are private options you might want to look at. DG
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

See the LongJourney post. Parmiters are still taking applications, print out the form from their website and post today. DG
Greenleaf

Post by Greenleaf »

I've just sent a form to parmiters - thanks to this thread. Apparently in previous years the tests were held after the open day - is this the case do you know?

Our nearest school is Beaumont or High School as central St A. Very good point about primary - one or two each year go to parmiters, habs, high school but talking to a parent today whose son goes to parmiters they did it all themselves.

It would be a rubbish journey compared to a ten minute walk to school but I hate closing down options.

Really appreciate your helpful comments.
NorthLondonMum

Post by NorthLondonMum »

Parmiters admissions page:

http://www.parmiters.herts.sch.uk/admissions/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

you do not have much time, aim to familiarise your child with the format of the exams and give some tips as to exam technique.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Are you sure you are close enough to Beaumont to get in? I can't think how you can be in the DAO catchment area and be close enough to Beaumont to get a space. Nowhere in St Albans is in the DAO catchment area, it is only Colney Heath that is and that seems very far from Beaumont. Are there dc's in your street that go there? DG
Greenleaf

Post by Greenleaf »

We are v close to beau (400 m) - I don't know anything about dao and no one I know goes there but a friend mentioned it (who lives park St) so I thought I should investigate but we've missed that anyway. So very poss not catchment for dao anyway.

Will look at parmiters entry. Gave daughter the paper from high school today website and she did it in 45 min with two questions wrong but half worked.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now