Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
hermanmunster

Re: SIF

Post by hermanmunster »

Parent68 wrote:
hermanmunster wrote:
Parent68 wrote: Look, my DS has got the right scores to get in via academic admission, because he worked hard, responding to our expectations, despite living very close to the school. On the other hand, no other child living nearer than us is even 15 marks close to the min score required for admission. Of these, we know at least 10 parents who have just moved house nearer than us since Sept 2012. None of them qualify to get into the school on the basis of merit but they are going to sneak in. .
How are they going to get in if they haven't got the required scores?
By having moved into a house very close to the school this month and qualifying via proximity rule. Had they remained in their old addresses they would not qualify under any criteria.
Forgot they aren't wholly selective schools!
pixiewats

Post by pixiewats »

watford wrote:Thank you

Does anyone know what docs are required for WGSB and WGSG?
you also need an application form which can be downloaded from school website
Mindset

Post by Mindset »

In case it helps, when we applied last year we needed to provide this documentation (2x proof of address) when we submitted the CAF, regardless of whether a school asked for copies with their SIF. And then, on admission, we were asked to provide a birth certificate.

So which ever means you hope to gain entry to a school, it's probably worth rummaging in your drawers for some paperwork :)
tense

Post by tense »

Parent68 wrote:It is especially painful to see locals losing out to last minute movers whose DC don't even come close to making the academic cut.
Totally irrelevant. Are 'bogus renters' with high achieving academic DC OK then?

Personally, I'm delighted with the mix of locals / siblings /musical & academic kids at my DC's school.
Parent68

Post by Parent68 »

tense wrote:
Parent68 wrote:It is especially painful to see locals losing out to last minute movers whose DC don't even come close to making the academic cut.
Totally irrelevant. Are 'bogus renters' with high achieving academic DC OK then?

Personally, I'm delighted with the mix of locals / siblings /musical & academic kids at my DC's school.
How and why what I said is irrelevant? Don't be so dismissive in such arbitrary manner. Does not add value the problem solving effort, unless you're ok with the problem created by bogus renting, which the schools have issues with.

What's irrelevant is the fact high scoring DC will get in no matter where one lives in the catchment area. So the issue of bogus renters does not come into the play.
strictlyfriends

Post by strictlyfriends »

Once your choices have been submitted on the 31st October what would happen if you move closer to a school between that date and March or later for example. Before everyone shouts at me the move wont be exclusively to gain entry to a school it was always happening anyway. Would you be considered with your new address or would you have to go to appeal.
WP

Post by WP »

strictlyfriends wrote:Once your choices have been submitted on the 31st October what would happen if you move closer to a school between that date and March or later for example. Before everyone shouts at me the move wont be exclusively to gain entry to a school it was always happening anyway. Would you be considered with your new address or would you have to go to appeal.
This situation is covered on page 10 of the Herts Moving On book, but you should also talk to the schools involved directly, as they handle their own admissions. Expect a lot of scrutiny.
RationalityRules

Post by RationalityRules »

Parent68, I sympathise with your views on last-minute renters. It must be difficult for families who have spent many years believing that they will qualify for a proximity place to find out late on in the process that there are other families who will qualify ahead of them. I'm not keen on the term 'bogus' renters as this implies all late arrivals are deliberately doing something wrong, which may not be the case.

I believe that some of the Buckinghamshire grammar schools are requesting proof of address from 1st March of each child's Year 5 before a child can be considered for a place under a promixity or distance rule. This does not solve the 'problem' of parents relocating to be close to a good school - as long as the government offer parents a choice of school, that 'problem' will persist. it does mean that families must relocate sooner - they must have been permanently resident in a school's catchment area for six months before applying to that school in the September/October. If proof of address is then checked again when a place is offered in March the following year, then this could mean that a family must be permanently resident in a school's catchment area for a year to secure a proximity/distance place.

RR
Pikachu

Post by Pikachu »

Parmiter's SIF form

Parents who are applying under Criteria 2, 4, 5, 6 or 7 will need to provide proof that the home address quoted is the permanent residence of the applicant; this proof should include a photocopy of (custodial) parent’s driver’s licence, or a child benefit letter or a utility bill. Please read the “Admission Arrangements for Year Seven Entry in September 2013” document carefully.

Need to go to specsavers....
mushroom

Post by mushroom »

This thread is now highlighting to 'bogus renters' what they need to do to pass the hurdles the schools make them jump. Doesn't seem in keeping with the intention of the original post.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now