High Music Score but Lower Academic

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
WatfordGirl

High Music Score but Lower Academic

Post by WatfordGirl »

My child scored 95% in percentage terms for the Music Test but 75% for the Academic. The Academic score will probably not get her a academic place but her Music result should get her a place at one of her choices. Do Admissions and then the school when the lists go to them, look for the highest mark first?
WP

Re: High Music Score but Lower Academic

Post by WP »

It's not meaningful to interpret the standardized academic scores as percentages. Just compare your scores with the past cutoffs. They have separate rankings for academic and music (and distance), and work down the each list until they've made the right number of offers under that criterion.
daisyduke

Post by daisyduke »

Hi Watford Girl - we're in a similar position for the boys grammar, and yes I believe they go in criterion order, so when they get to the selective places, 1st they look for their top music score applicants, then their academic list.
Some DCs will be high on both, but would be offered a music place in that case, allowing another academic entrant to take the other slot.
It says on both grammar websites, "Applicants who are entitled to be offered a place under more than one of criteria 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 or 8, will be offered a place under the lowest numbered criterion".

Sorry I've just realised you might not be talking about the girls grammar! But probably other SW Herts schools are similar!
WatfordGirl

Post by WatfordGirl »

daisyduke wrote:Hi Watford Girl - we're in a similar position for the boys grammar, and yes I believe they go in criterion order, so when they get to the selective places, 1st they look for their top music score applicants, then their academic list.
Some DCs will be high on both, but would be offered a music place in that case, allowing another academic entrant to take the other slot.
It says on both grammar websites, "Applicants who are entitled to be offered a place under more than one of criteria 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 or 8, will be offered a place under the lowest numbered criterion".

Sorry I've just realised you might not be talking about the girls grammar! But probably other SW Herts schools are similar!
That's very helpful thank you!
hairydog

Post by hairydog »

Daisy duke, I believe it is the other way round. Schools will fill academic places first as it is a higher criterion. If a dc is offered an academic place they will not be offered a music place however high they score. Once academic places are filled they will then allocate music places. So if a dc scores high on both they will be allocated academic.
hairydog

Post by hairydog »

Or maybe that is just the case for Parmiters who list academic as a higher criterion than music. Can anyone clarify?
daisyduke

Post by daisyduke »

Hi HairyDog, yes sorry I don't know about Parmiters, but the music criterion is listed ahead of the academic criterion at the Grammars, Clement Danes and Ricky.
I suppose its 'academic' ('scuse the pun) anyway, if the OP's DC has a music score well above the previous cut offs, they're highly likely to get a place, fingers crossed.