Distance Measurement

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
cavalier

Distance Measurement

Post by cavalier »

Hi All,

I remember reading an official document somewhereon how the destination point from a school is ascertained where the residential address is part of a block of flats. It was something about "communal point" but can't remember where I read it, what it said and whether there was a definition.

Does any know of one or am I dreaming this up?

Thanks
Parent68

Re: Distance Measurement

Post by Parent68 »

cavalier wrote:Hi All,

I remember reading an official document somewhereon how the destination point from a school is ascertained where the residential address is part of a block of flats. It was something about "communal point" but can't remember where I read it, what it said and whether there was a definition.

Does any know of one or am I dreaming this up?

Thanks
From my distance checking experience, it appears that a block of flats have the same basic distance and then the flat number is the final deciding factor.
Pikachu

Post by Pikachu »

Under Parmiter's admission arrangements.

Where there is a need for a final tie-breaker re criteria 2, 5, 6 and 7 i.e. where two different addresses measure the same distance from a school, in the case of a block of flats for example, the lower door number will be deemed nearest as logically this will be on the ground floor and therefore closer. If there are two identical addresses or distances of separate applicants, the tie break will be random (i.e. the drawing of lots supervised by two members of the Admissions Committee).
cavalier

Post by cavalier »

Many Thanks for your replies.

I was also wondering how/who decides what is actually the communal point. There must be some established rules/guidelines. From my invetigations the communal point selected in my block is literally 'beyond' the far corner of my block and as a result is outside of the block and makes the location of my apartment almost 80m further than it's actual location. If the communal point is somehwere in the centre (in the middle of all the main entry doors to the block), then it would actually be approx 40/50m less than the current measurement. As you all know, a metre makes a huge difference on not only community places but tie breakers on academic places.

Thanks
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now