Verulam School

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Cricket

Verulam School

Post by Cricket »

Anyone got statistics for distance places at Verulam School for last few years? What is maximum distance for priority area e.g. actually within St Albans?

Many thanks
hairydog

Re: Verulam School

Post by hairydog »

Hi Cricket. As I understand the admission rules if Verulam is your nearest school then the application is considered under rule 5. If another school is your nearest, allocation is by random allocation proportionate to how many applicants there are within each priority parish. I spoke to the school, furthest distance under nearest school was 2.5km, but people who lived nearer geographically but who were nearer another school were considered under rule 6. So it depends.

I was also told that nearly everyone who wanted it last year eventually got it and that there was a fair bit of movement on the lists. I think it is a very rapidly improving school, very impressive Head and we have shifted our position on schools putting it as our first choice even though ds got excellent music scores and would be very likely to get an offer from Parmiters based on previous years scores . Hope that helps.
hairydog

Post by hairydog »

Just read your other thread about Watford Girls and SCD. Are you thinking of moving? Or asking for friends?
3b1g

Post by 3b1g »

Yes, not sure you'll get your DD into Verulam, Cricket! Isn't it a boys' school? :?
Cricket

Post by Cricket »

Yes asking for my friend as she has boys for next year intake. Thanks
chapuza

Post by chapuza »

hairydog wrote:I was also told that nearly everyone who wanted it last year eventually got it and that there was a fair bit of movement on the lists. I think it is a very rapidly improving school, very impressive Head and we have shifted our position on schools putting it as our first choice even though ds got excellent music scores and would be very likely to get an offer from Parmiters based on previous years scores . Hope that helps.
We know quite a lot of boys at Verulam (and some teachers) and would agree that it's definitely on the up (though still arguably not as good as Parmiter's) and they all seem very happy with it. However, it's certainly not as good for music as Parmiter's.
hairydog

Post by hairydog »

Agree chapuza, not as good as Parmiters for music although not such an issue for us as ds has plenty outside school. I really liked the atmosphere and their results are starting to look very impressive. Very local for us and ds showed a clear preference. So we are happy.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now