Lowest score for Watford Boys inner catchment

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
chilli

Re: Lowest score for Watford Boys inner catchment

Post by chilli »

decaff wrote:Re-introduction of cross sibling rule has denied many local boys places at WGSB 326m does not seem very far at all. I am sure many families who live close by are rightly extremely upset. It seems to me that despite taking tests early the marks needed to secure academic entry are higher this year. Is this as a result of knowing scores? I am lucky I secured a distance place at my 1st choice Ricky. Distance here has come out a long way this year. I also applied to Queens and received a letter today saying that I would be 12th on academic waiting list so my DS score of 218 would not have been high enough for Queens on March 1st. Does anybody know academic cut offs for Rickmansworth and Queens?
According to Queens website under admissions, the lowest academic score offered on March 1 was 218.Forget my previous post as I realize having re-read your post you got your 1st choice Ricky. Still if 218 was Queens' cut off score,why did he not get the place then, sorry not a question for you,I know you can't answer that!
decaff

Post by decaff »

Thanks Chili it would have been because 218 was lowest score on allocation day and there would have been 11 children who lived closer than me with same score. I live on boarders of Rickmansworth. Still if I had not got either of my top 2 choices then it seems highly likely that I would have eventually been offered an academic place at Queens.
JP

Post by JP »

When calculating distance is it from the school boundary or from a central point or from the entrance points? If a central point where is the central point? I ask because the Boy's school has a large games field at the back so houses behind the Met Line station probably would not make it this year under the distance criterea if it is taken from a central point or one of the entrances.
WP

Post by WP »

JP wrote:When calculating distance is it from the school boundary or from a central point or from the entrance points? If a central point where is the central point? I ask because the Boy's school has a large games field at the back so houses behind the Met Line station probably would not make it this year under the distance criterea if it is taken from a central point or one of the entrances.
According to the Moving On book (p26), they use the National Land and Property Gazetteer address point for your home and for the school. If this is the same as the Ordnance Survey's Address-Point product, an address point is a point inside the main building on the site, but not otherwise meaningful, i.e. not the front door, etc. The county have a tool you can use to find the distance in metres from your home to the ten closest schools, using the same database.
decaff

Post by decaff »

I think distance used to be shortest designated route which caused more confusion. The changes make a huge difference. There are some children living on a particular estate in Watford who have gained places on distance this year at Ricky and who have a much longer road route to school than children living in Croxley Green due to straight line measurements. This has left some parents in Croxley who have missed out rather displeased. Seems shocking that children at back of playing fields at WBGS have not got places either this year.
WP

Post by WP »

Straight-line became the norm from the 2011 entry. Most schools used shortest designated route before then, but Ricky has always used straight-line distance.
Mgnmum

Post by Mgnmum »

the single sex schools are not included in the list the council give your for your nearest schools! although applying this year for a girls place we are exceedingly disappointed about the distance for boys as we live only 450m ( on our calculation) form wgsb but would not have got in this year. My neighbours have lived her for some time and did not get in, yet children moving into a block of flats in october and moved out on 2nd march did!!
ajooba

Post by ajooba »

Mgnmum wrote:the single gender schools are not included in the list the council give your for your nearest schools! although applying this year for a girls place we are exceedingly disappointed about the distance for boys as we live only 450m ( on our calculation) form wgsb but would not have got in this year. My neighbours have lived her for some time and did not get in, yet children moving into a block of flats in october and moved out on 2nd march did!!

Its similar for WGSG, although the distance went our slightly further than for the boys school, people who rented one of the numerous new flats next to WGSG for a few months got in, even though some of them have a family home in another town nearby and clearly only rented to get into the school, meaning local children who live slightly further away missed out.
watford

Post by watford »

but according to the admisson policy everybody has to prove that they no longer have ties to the old property and that they plan on staying in the area long term?

Perhaps there have just been alot of DC who have genuinely got a place on distance at these grammars?
WP

Post by WP »

Mgnmum wrote:the single gender schools are not included in the list the council give your for your nearest schools!
Various categories of school don't count for Hertfordshire's rule 4, but they are still listed in the 10 closest schools given in the result of the query at the link I gave.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now