wggs + relocation

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

3b1g

Re: wggs + relocation

Post by 3b1g »

I agree with what decaff said. Being passionate and talented at music does not always lead to a music place; the system is a little more arbitrary than that. Many talented musicians don't even get the opportunity to audition.
K1w1mum

Post by K1w1mum »

I agree about the music places. My DD is grade 5 piano, grade 3 double bass, does choir and plays steel pans as well but just missed out on a chance to audition as she was really thrown by the aural test format. Luckily she managed to get an academic place, but I would never count on a musical place without preparing for the academic exams!
angelaht

Post by angelaht »

Thank you for your replies. The main reason we want her to go to WGGS is for the music - she is fairly strong on academic and will take the test but I don't want to take up massive amounts of time with preparation for it. We don't have a tutor for her and so much time is taken up with school activities and music practising that it seems a little unfair on her to push her to perform in the academic test too!

We looked round last october and we were impressed with the music department. but - if, like you say, it is easy to under perform in the aural tests - it will be great to have the distance to fall back on. She has just taken grade 5 cello and she also has a good ear - she can sight sing intervals etc and is able to name all major/minor intervals by ear. I am hoping this will help her for the aural exam.

But mostly I just feel that it would be good for her confidence to get in on her musical merit - and at least that way we will be able to move if we need to!! Makes me realise how fortunate we are to live by the school after all these years - people are trying to move here just to get in and we are dithering about moving away!
Cutting42

Post by Cutting42 »

angelaht wrote:Thank you for your replies. The main reason we want her to go to WGGS is for the music - she is fairly strong on academic and will take the test but I don't want to take up massive amounts of time with preparation for it. We don't have a tutor for her and so much time is taken up with school activities and music practising that it seems a little unfair on her to push her to perform in the academic test too!

We looked round last october and we were impressed with the music department. but - if, like you say, it is easy to under perform in the aural tests - it will be great to have the distance to fall back on. She has just taken grade 5 cello and she also has a good ear - she can sight sing intervals etc and is able to name all major/minor intervals by ear. I am hoping this will help her for the aural exam.

But mostly I just feel that it would be good for her confidence to get in on her musical merit - and at least that way we will be able to move if we need to!! Makes me realise how fortunate we are to live by the school after all these years - people are trying to move here just to get in and we are dithering about moving away!
Hi

This thread has a lot of information on the Music test, some from me. Please ask any questions as both my DC were music entry to the Grammars.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 18&t=25621" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
angelaht

Post by angelaht »

Thanks for the link. Really useful to read through
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now