wggs + relocation

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
rose2129

wggs + relocation

Post by rose2129 »

Hi All,
What would be the ideal time frame for relocation [genuine reasons] to a catchment area in order to secure a place in WGGS -Hertfordshire region ?Looking forward for the valuable advice if any of you might have undergone similar situation.
My daughter is currently year 5.
Many Thanks,
rose2129
3b1g

Re: wggs + relocation

Post by 3b1g »

If this year was anything to go by, you'd need to move to within 450m of the school in order to be confident of a place under the distance criterion.

This coming year the distance cut-off might be higher or lower though, depending on the number of applicants, where they live and the number applying under the sibling and cross-sibling criteria.

The applications are made in October, so you'd need to be in residence by then.

If you are looking to apply for an academic place, then the list of postcodes of the catchment area is on the school website, but a place isn't guaranteed unless your daughter scores higher than most of the other applicants on the test.
rose2129

Post by rose2129 »

Hi 3b1g,

Many thanks for sharing your views.It helps!

Regards,
rose
angelaht

Post by angelaht »

I am the opposite way round to you. We live very close to the school but wish to move out of the area. I am planning on DD (currently Y5) applying for a music place - since this is her passion! but we will also apply on distance. How long will we have to stay in our current address to accept a distance place (if she doens't get music)?
Last edited by angelaht on Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
decaff

Post by decaff »

Definitely not until you have accepted the place ie March 1st 2014. Also you may not get offered a place straight away so perhaps best to put off moving until you know for sure you have secured a place.
Sallyltb

Post by Sallyltb »

decaff wrote:Definitely not until you have accepted the place ie March 1st 2014. Also you may not get offered a place straight away so perhaps best to put off moving until you know for sure you have secured a place.
Have things changed? A friend of mine lived within 200 metres of Parmiter's and moved out just two weeks after submitting their son's application. He got in on distance and struggled for several years before leaving part way through Year 12.
3b1g

Post by 3b1g »

After the child is offered the place in March, the parents are sent forms to complete, confirming address etc. Personally, I would stay in residence until the child actually starts at the school in the September.
Sallyltb

Post by Sallyltb »

The Herts admissions arrangements for this year say "6th December: jIf you move house, this is the latest date for you to notify the admissions team of your new address for it to be considered in the allocation process".

I assume that this means that any move after this point will not affect the application process.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I would not move until the child has started school; technically they are not 'on roll' until then.
decaff

Post by decaff »

Those who have been offered distance places at Wbgs this year have had to take in a number of documents after March 1st proving address including mortgage statement or rental agreement plus other documents. I just feel you have a strong chance of having a distance place withdrawn if you have moved address since applying. It will be interesting to see if any of the 20 distance places at Watford boys are not taken up because parents can not provide necessary documentation. This could be a good thing as I know a number of genuine families just outside 327m who are very disappointed this year. Also applying under music is so hit and miss I know of several accomplished musicians 1 child grade 5 piano who was not been called back in the past to perform after sitting music aural exam.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now