Biology, Chemistry and Physics GCSE which school is best

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ToadMum

Re: Biology, Chemistry and Physics GCSE which school is best

Post by ToadMum »

I am fairly certain that none of our local schools - including GSs - turn down otherwise suitable candidates because they took double rather than triple science. eg Southend High School for Girls, DS1's first choice for September (fingers crossed!) just expects all Sixth Form sciences applicants to attend subject specific induction days in July as well as the general sessions.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Amp

Post by Amp »

silverysea wrote:I just have to say that I agree with Daogroupie about the girl thing- my DD has suffered terribly from Queen Bee bullying and one of the things they pick on is her interest and aptitude for science - she got a level 7 on her early year 7 tests and everyone knew, I think the year 9s were talking about it- that started off the negative attention from these two little darlings.

That could happen at any school of course, but DD does feel isolated - luckily they went so far that she just tells them where to go now, does what she likes, and says what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

I really wish we had made different choices when we moved to get into this school in 2010.
Silverysea, which school are you talking about?
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

It not a GS or selective.
Mamonaku

Post by Mamonaku »

In the past The Latymer School (Edmonton) was considered to lean towards maths and the sciences probably due to the entrance tests. First there was NVR alone, then NVR and maths, then they introduced an English exam for about 3 years. This year it's all change again with CEM tests.

If you look at these GCSE results you will see that 179 children took the 3 separate sciences at Latymer - as 178 children took the compulsory English and Maths tests that means every child took the 3 sciences at Latymer in 11/12.

http://web.latymer.co.uk/Mainfolder/our ... pectus.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you look at the A level results you'll see that 168 children took maths A level - an extremely high percentage. Again this is probably because the children were selected on the basis of maths and NVR ability at age 11.

http://web.latymer.co.uk/Mainfolder/our ... ear-13.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Only time will tell whether the shift towards CEM tests will change this balance over the years, but I think whatever happens Latymer has a strong reputation for teaching maths and science.
SummersLazy

Post by SummersLazy »

thanks Mamonaku
3b1g

Post by 3b1g »

WBGS start their GCSE (or iGCSE) science courses in the January of Y9.
The decision about whether they do double or triple is based on the results on internal assessments at the end of Y8 and beginning of Y9. At our recent Y8 parents' evening, a science teacher at WBGS told us that the boys with level 7 do triple science. The boys with level 6 get the choice, and most want (or are encouraged by their parents) to do triple science. The boys with level 5 do double science.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Very interesting, thank you. Any idea what percentage of the year do triple science? Do the boys on Level 7 have to do it? What board do you use? Thanks DG
3b1g

Post by 3b1g »

The implication was that all boys who are on L7 in the Autumn Term of Y9 are entered into triple science, as well as most boys who are on L6. They \ using AQA for Biology, Chemistry and Physics but the science department felt that it wasn't ideal in preparing the boys for A-level sciences, so the current Y9s have started the CIE (Cambridge) iGCSE course for all three science subjects. I don't have percentages for how many boys do triple science.
3b1g

Post by 3b1g »

\ = were.
Typing on phone.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I would be interested to know what they thought was missing from AQA. DG