Biology, Chemistry and Physics GCSE which school is best

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
SummersLazy

Biology, Chemistry and Physics GCSE which school is best

Post by SummersLazy »

How would you go about to find which secondary school really focuses on A* their kids in Biology, Chemistry and Physics GCSE? FT school ranking is not adequate to finding this out.
Do you vouch for any of the schools regarding this?
hermanmunster

Re: Biology, Chemistry and Physics GCSE which school is best

Post by hermanmunster »

I suppose it really depends why you would want to know this - if it is to choose a school at year 7 bear in mid that things may change hugely (both with the school and the exams) by year 10/11 and the child may not like science ..
SummersLazy

Post by SummersLazy »

I suppose it really depends why you would want to know this -
??????????
I would like to do my part right... so please dont kill the thread
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

The schools you are interested in will all have their GCSE results on their websites. Why don't you try there?
scary mum
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

It would help to know which schools are realistically located for you or are you prepared to move? DG
SummersLazy

Post by SummersLazy »

Ready to relocate. Just trying to choose which grammar school is apt.
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

I would go and visit the science departments of the schools I was interested in. However be prepared it might be a waste of time since staff might turnover before DCs reach that stage - I am planning to pay for outside tutoring as well if things change for the worse in the school DD is in. If she doesn't do science at A level I will eat my hat - it's been her thing since age zero. The school is currently doing well by her in that area but I can see some other topics that she is less motivated by, will need home support.
hamscd

Post by hamscd »

We all want our children to become doctors but really don't know what their interest will be when they are older.
My advice will be to look for good schools as good schools are strong in all subjects and should give the best start.
Also be careful about very high achieving schools as they will a policy on minimum requirements before children are allowed to enter for triple science in O' level.
I know of a girl who would not have been allowed to do triple science in SCD as she did not make the grades in KS3 exams but as she went to Park High and there was not that rule she got 3 As in GCSE. She is now doing dentistry in uni.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Some parents want their dc's to be doctors. I have no interest at all in my dd's being doctors and I only know one parent who wants her dd to do Medicine at Cambridge and that is only because she is a snob and wants her dd to do the most academic degree at the most academic university. Her dd is not interested at all.

OP, do you have a dd or a ds? I would suggest you go to Open Evenings at QE boys, DAO and Latymer and the Open Mornings at HBS, NLCS , Habs and St Albans boys and girls depending on gender.

I would suggest you move somewhere in Barnet or Enfield where you can be in Catchment for DAO and Latymer as well as sitting HBS or QE. You might want your dc to go to a certain school but they may not perform on the day so you need a backup.

Do you want your dc to be a doctor, is that your interest in the sciences? If you have a boy QE got 30 boys into Medicine last year which I don't think any school anywhere in the UK can match. DG
SummersLazy

Post by SummersLazy »

Thanks All
Thanks Daogroupie
too bad DD is a girl or I now know QE is my answer. Do you think DAO and HBS will give exit results? I see Tiffins' results in their website