Music Test - SW consortium any point?

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mon786

Music Test - SW consortium any point?

Post by mon786 »

I have been told by other parents that if my child is only playing piano at grade 1 level, there is no point doing the Music test as even if he gets through the theory test, he has no chance in the actual performance side unless he is Grade 6 piano. They will aware places to those doing obscure instruments more readily as well?

Is this true?
Thanks
Tagore

Re: Music Test - SW consortium Any point?

Post by Tagore »

I do not believe this to be true. They are looking for aptitude.
Tagore
Hera

Post by Hera »

This is a good thread to read from last year. In my opinion there is definitely a point as you have nothing to lose. My DS was grade 1 piano last year, he didn't get through on music, had a go, and if nothing else his music improved loads as it made him focus a bit more. He is not a particularly musically gifted child so his experience is not indicative how another child in his position will do.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 18&t=25621" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Are these parents' children in competition with yours? You're wise to come on here and verify what you've been told. I've read on here several times that it's aptitude that counts.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Or these parents could be genuinely misguided. I had a quick look at a couple of the schools' websites and aptitude is mentioned in both.
newgirl

Post by newgirl »

My son got a place with Grade 2 piano.
K1w1mum

Post by K1w1mum »

I think it's always worth a try.
It works the other way as well; my DD was doing Grade 4 piano, Grade 3 double bass and Grade 3 theory and didn't get through to the second round. There are no guarantees!
3b1g

Re: Music Test - SW consortium any point?

Post by 3b1g »

A boy I know very well got through to the second round and scored 33/45 by singing a rugby song in his audition (enough for entry to most schools that particular year). He did also have the ABRSM bronze medal (approx G1 level, perhaps slightly easier) on the descant recorder though. :lol: I don't know exactly what they are looking for, but it doesn't seem to be musical accomplishment.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

They are talking out of their hats, we know students who got a music place at Parmiters after only having played recorder in assembly. Have a go, there are quite a few places available and many who sit will be chasing music places elsewhere as well. DG
chapuza

Post by chapuza »

I've got musical children at Parmiter's and not heard that about 'only recorders in assembly' before (although I do also know of children who have got in on music and then not done any once they've arrived). I'd say based on my experience that most of the children who get into Parmiter's are more like at least Grade 3 standard at time of application, although it's very true that they're looking for aptitude rather than concert performance level.