Spare a word or two

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ToadMum

Re: Spare a word or two

Post by ToadMum »

LeprechaunQueen wrote:
KS10 wrote:DS did the Yellis test (?) a few weeks ago and said that the question of occupations came up at the same time. Not sure if it was a separate questionnaire or part of the test. I will check with him.
CEM state on their site that a section of Yellis is aimed at evaluating "Home background characteristics" including:
Frequency of borrowing books from the school library/from another library
Frequency of looking things up in a dictionary or encyclopaedia
Frequency of looking things up on the internet
Frequency of being asked at home what you've learnt at school :wink:
Number of books at home
Time spent reading for pleasure
Frequency of visits to museums and art galleries
Parents' occupations
Whereas I can see that this could be useful for assessing a schools VA score, I still fail to see how or reasonably why the school should use it when deciding which sets to place pupils in? e,g. one scenario (hopefully too extreme to be realistic :shock: ) - child put into bottom set for maths due to social background tipping the balance. Child actually equally as capable as average in middle or top set, bored witless by slow pace of teaching...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
leanmeamum

Post by leanmeamum »

found this wonderful article on the net -

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/par ... /?page=all
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

DS1 mentioned this evening that his current grade prediction / target for AS Physics is A - on the strength of having middle-class, educated parents, he says :roll:
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now