Banding test?

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Wkmum27

Banding test?

Post by Wkmum27 »

Do you make your child sit the banding tests for the school you listed on the CAF if DC achieved a good rank position? Are they pointless or they have to be done regardless? I'm confused. Thank you.
HenryVIII

Re: Banding test?

Post by HenryVIII »

I am not sure I really understand your question and I can only speak for BM - invitations for all the successful Y6 candidates to sit CATs are in June (a Saturday); this determines pathway (1, 2 or 3) and sets. The consortium test results have already determined banding - although banding isn't as important as SATs and CAT scores (ie. anecdotal evidence of Band A children going into Pathway 2 due to sub Level 5 SAT scores). Do any of the other schools refer to banding???

I believe Parmiters also have CAT testing before school begins in September. Everyone else appears to do this during the settling in period in Y7 - would be interested in hearing otherwise.
decaff

Post by decaff »

Rickmansworth School tested all children at induction day in July. They used these marks and teacher assessment grades from year 6 to set children for current year 7. There are 7 sets but they don't tell parents where you child has been placed but believe me the children work it out for themselves very quickly. There has already been a small amount of movement within the sets since coming back after half term.
Hera

Post by Hera »

At WGBS they had lots of tests in the first week or two after they started which I think have influenced the targets they have been given. They have only been set for maths so far.
Wkmum27

Post by Wkmum27 »

Hello guys! Sorry I'd been really busy but thank you to everyone who replied. I don't think I phrase my question clearly. My son fortunately achieved a very good rank position in DAO, a 'did extremely well letter' in Latymer and is considered for QE as well ( sorry, hand on my heart, not meant to boast just explaining). We chose DAO as first preference followed by the other two schools mentioned. We also put other schools to fill in all the 6 spaces in the CAF. All the three schools at the bottom of the CAF require banding tests. Should I make him sit these tests if despite achieving well on the selective schools? Thank you so much.
Wkmum27

Post by Wkmum27 »

I meant 'sit these tests despite'...
Hera

Post by Hera »

You would only do the banding test once offered a place for any of these schools, so if you get offered a higher rank school you wont have the option to take banding tests for schools you have not been offered as they were ranked lower on your CAF.
Wkmum27

Post by Wkmum27 »

Thank you Hera. Where we are, banding tests for the comprehensives are done before the offer. I guess it is the uncertainty of a guaranteed place as the letters from the selective schools suggest, that's making me worried. As well as the fact that I might be making DS sit tests that might be unnecessary.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now