WGSG and WGSB cross sibling rules?

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
K1w1mum

WGSG and WGSB cross sibling rules?

Post by K1w1mum »

I have a DD at WGSG already and a couple of younger daughters who will be joining her there if all goes to plan.
But they also have a little brother, and although he's a bit young to know if WGSB will suit him, it is in the back of our mind that this will be a possibility.
Our younger DDs don't have to sit the 11+, in fact we were told by the school they'd prefer not to have to mark their papers, but someone was saying today that cross siblings HAVE to sit the Herts consortium exam and get a specific mark before they get offered a place as a cross sibling.
I can't seem to find any details about this but thought someone on here would be likely to know!
TIA
WP

Re: WGSG and WGSB cross sibling rules?

Post by WP »

From the stats at the top of this section, you'll see there's a chance that they won't have enough community places for all the cross siblings, in which case the ones furtherest away will miss out on sibling places and have to compete for academic or music places. So this is a possibility if you're quite a way from the school, but if you're within say 6 or 8 km it's extremely unlikely.
3b1g

Post by 3b1g »

What WP says makes sense.

I had also heard that they asked cross-siblings to sit the test last year, even though they prefer same-sex siblings not to.

My DD is hoping to apply for a cross-sibling place to start in September 2015, but as she is unlikely to get over 220 in the test, we're just going to have to hope she gets one.
3b1g

Post by 3b1g »

We live 3.4km away, so hopefully that will be close enough.
K1w1mum

Post by K1w1mum »

Thanks guys, we live in the outer area so it's more of a concern for us. Oh well, at least the girls should all get a place and with three kids at school in Watford, we might decide to move closer anyhow!
HappyCow

Post by HappyCow »

K1w1mum wrote:I have a DD at WGSG already and a couple of younger daughters who will be joining her there if all goes to plan.
But they also have a little brother, and although he's a bit young to know if WGSB will suit him, it is in the back of our mind that this will be a possibility.
Our younger DDs don't have to sit the 11+, in fact we were told by the school they'd prefer not to have to mark their papers, but someone was saying today that cross siblings HAVE to sit the Herts consortium exam and get a specific mark before they get offered a place as a cross sibling.
I can't seem to find any details about this but thought someone on here would be likely to know!
TIA
Cross siblings do have to sit the exam - it is recommended by HeadTeachers at both schools. Not sure about specific mark.
Bear in mind....cross sibling rule can be removed in the same way as it was re-instated a couple of years ago.
3b1g

Post by 3b1g »

So is it recommended or compulsory?

Are they saying that a child who did sit the test but lives further from the school will be given priority over a child who didn't sit the test but lives closer to the school? Because that would seem to be a breach of their own admissions rules.
3b1g

Post by 3b1g »

Just checked last year's admissions arrangements. It stated that those applying only for a community place or a music place did not need to sit the test of academic aptitude.
HappyCow

Post by HappyCow »

3b1g - I remember HeadTeacher at WBGS saying to sit it. (It may have just been a recommendation).
I think it is a good idea to prepare your DC to sit the exam - irrespective of whether they need to or not.
WP

Post by WP »

3b1g wrote:Just checked last year's admissions arrangements. It stated that those applying only for a community place or a music place did not need to sit the test of academic aptitude.
and their FAQ says "If you are not applying under Criterion 1, 3 or 4 then you are strongly advised to enter your daughter for the school'€™s admissions tests provided for in criteria 7 and 8." So that's recommended, but not required.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now