11 plus tutor stress

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Chopsbubbly

Re: 11 plus tutor stress

Post by Chopsbubbly »

I certainly see the benefits of a tutor, but it's a personal choice. I know my son could cope with the work at a grammar school, but simply needs help covering some of the areas he hasn't covered in his stage school, which isn't his fault. I also don't have the time myself to sit Dian and structure work and tests with him , he responds better to a teacher/ tutor and there's nothing wrong in that .

It all depends on the preferences/ needs of parent and child in my view. For those that asked , my son goes to monksmead school. Fantastic school in an area where the school selection isn't great, but it's more the dedication on one teacher there that has started the VR prep class. But I know it won't be enough and some 121 attention will suit my son.
noonynunu

Post by noonynunu »

Chopsbubbly wrote: It all depends on the preferences/ needs of parent and child in my view. For those that asked , my son goes to monksmead school. Fantastic school in an area where the school selection isn't great, but it's more the dedication on one teacher there that has started the VR prep class. But I know it won't be enough and some 121 attention will suit my son.
Have you spoken to any parents of children who have done the VR prep. class before your DC? It might give you an idea of whether you really need to supplement it with additional work or if you can just concentrate on other elements of the exams such as maths and English. By identifying if there are any gaps in the VR prep. it may save you time and money e.g. not having to buy the material to work from (if it is already provided by the prep. class).
Chopsbubbly

Post by Chopsbubbly »

They only started it this year. It's a book I don't recognise aswell so I think it's just some general practice to be honest , and because places are in such demand, they can only attend for one term so I definately think he needs additional help.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now