Same exam date, What to do?

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

tusharpatel1410

Re: Same exam date, What to do?

Post by tusharpatel1410 »

rabbie burns wrote:Sorry, I know its not my business but no child should be subjected to four tests.
May be not, but I am pretty sure after they pass the test and get admission in one of these schools, when they finish their education, they will proudly thank you for giving them good education!!!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Many Y6 students will be doing a lot more than four tests in a few days next week if they are doing English and Maths Level Six. The L6 papers are in the afternoon straight after the L5 paper in the morning. DG
rabbie burns

Post by rabbie burns »

Not sure the sats next week equate to taking your child around four or five different tests for grammar schools in different areas. Especially as these come with liberal dollops of parent induced stress, pressure and anxiety. My ds and his friends are taking next week in their stride with the minimum of fuss. Different to the atmosphere just before test day last September. In terms of thanks I expect none because he will get what he gets through his own efforts, as he did last September. 8) At the end of the day we all do what we think is best for our own child. Good luck this year.
noonynunu

Post by noonynunu »

tusharpatel1410 wrote: May be not, but I am pretty sure after they pass the test and get admission in one of these schools, when they finish their education, they will proudly thank you for giving them good education!!!
A bit presumptuous don't you think? Particularly given how over subscribed many of these schools are.

What you do have to consider is how would a DC feel if they sat the exams and didn't get into any of those schools?

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong in sitting multiple exams, if the workload is properly balanced and the potential outcomes placed in to perspective.

I do know adults who failed the 11 plus and it most definitely left them very emotionally scarred. Failing it multiple times over...
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

noonynunu wrote:
I do know adults who failed the 11 plus and it most definitely left them very emotionally scarred.
But that's not a reason not to do it and have a go. I very much doubt if the 'emotional scarring' was solely down to not passing the 11+, there could be all sorts of other factors.

Personally I don't think it's so terrible for a child to sit 4 exams. The attitude of parents is far more important than the number of exams sat. Why not give your child a chance? As long as it's managed carefully I don't see the problem. My dd has just sat for various state and indie schools. At times it was stressful and she got a bit worried but at those times I reassured her by telling her to get it in perspective. Work hard, do your very best but even if you don't get into a selective school, you'll go somewhere else and you will still have a happy and successful life. I think some people think it's the be all and end all to get into a particular school. It isn't and also, however well prepared a child is, it's their performance on the day that matters and all children can have an off day.
noonynunu

Post by noonynunu »

Middlesexmum wrote: I very much doubt if the 'emotional scarring' was solely down to not passing the 11+,
Well I will be sure to tell one of the parents, who I will seeing tomorrow, that they were talking rubbish when they told me that they saw themselves as an academic failure as a result of not passing the 11 plus, (something which they claim took them some years to overcome) and it was nothing to do with failing the exam and was, in fact, down to something completely unrelated.

Perhaps you can correct this article for the Telegraph too:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/ed ... -plus.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I might also draw your attention to the sentence that preceded the comment:

"Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong in sitting multiple exams, if the workload is properly balanced and the potential outcomes placed in to perspective."
grtmum

Post by grtmum »

HI All,

After so many letters and emails, finally Slough Consortium agreed for change of dates saying as follows, posting here thinking that it might help others who wanted to attend SLough and South West Consortium:

"If you wish your child to take the test for both the Slough Consortium and SWHerts, you should decide which secondary school you most want your child to attend and sit the test on Saturday 13 September at the appropriate test centre. You should then send a copy of your testing arrangements paperwork to the other school so that you can be invited to a later session. Please be aware that attending a later session may mean that you do not have the test results by the deadline for Common Application Forms to your local authority".
agajera

Post by agajera »

My DS is allocated Herschel Grammar School for test on 13th September. He has SW consortium Test on the same time and same day. I contacted Herschel Grammar School over the phone, and they have put my son in for next reserve day. However, the date and time is yet not confirmed.

I must say, Lady at Herschel Grammar was very helpful and moved my son to a reserve day without any questions asked.

Hope this is helpful to others.
grtmum

Post by grtmum »

Thanks agajera for your information. Hope our inf helps others as well.

I have a question: With past experiences, can anyone tell me when will they conduct the later day exam (roughly) and when they are going to give us the results. Your answer helps me in taking the decision which school should we go for.

PS: Rough estimations will do

thanks