WGGS wait list

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
asldoc

WGGS wait list

Post by asldoc »

I was looking around for info on the wait list from last year and found the following:
dreams wrote:Hi all,
I decided to leave a short note just in case someone need it someday. We received the letter from Watford grammar for girls, offering the place for our daughter. She was 17th on academic list(outer area) on March 01st, by the end of March she was third. We withdrew her place acceptance at Chesham grammar school so good luck to someone who will take it:) And good luck to all who's still waiting.
Another poster on an another thread also posted that they knew the list went down to at least the 11th girl on the inner list….
I know this is an unusual year- but I thought it might be helpful to get an idea of how far down the waiting list it goes.
Fingers crossed to everyone still waiting! :P At least I have researched and decided to be happy about our second choice if we don't get in to WGGS.
asldoc

Re: WGGS wait list

Post by asldoc »

Well- after deciding to take a positive attitude to the waiting list after seeing past years information - I must revise my expectations (yet again). I just went to WGGS to hand in my CI form. I was told by the very kind admissions officer that there had been NO movement on the list so far. She sighed and said that this was indeed an unusual year!
Based on this information I think it is very unlikely that the waiting list will move as much as previous years. :cry:
Seems like more people applied and those who got a spot are holding on to it.
angelaht

Post by angelaht »

Perhaps no movement because the first CI run hadn't happened. Hopefully not too long to wait for an update now!
asldoc

Post by asldoc »

angelaht wrote:Perhaps no movement because the first CI run hadn't happened. Hopefully not too long to wait for an update now!
Hi Angelaht-
The admissions secretary still would have had an idea of movement on the list even if it was not yet announced. She seemed very surprised that nothing was happening.
That said, I won't give up hope until we get updated news. Should be soon now!
Does anyone know if they will send an email or letter in the mail and when we might expect to get it?
HappyCow

Post by HappyCow »

Just wanted to wish you luck...
What school was your DD offered? How does your DD feel about that school.....just in case?
asldoc

Post by asldoc »

HappyCow wrote:Just wanted to wish you luck...
What school was your DD offered? How does your DD feel about that school.....just in case?
Thanks HappyCow!
DD was offered St Clement Danes. I am sure she doesn't know what to think but seems okay for the moment. As is probably the case for everyone the situation is not so straightforward. We were fairly confident she would get into WGGS based on previous years and so didn't do as much research about SCD as we should have. It is hard to get information at this point as the school is not open for visits and there is not the vast amount of info on forums like this as can be found for WGGS.
I am conflicted- because SCD looks only marginally better than our local comprehensive and DD will have to travel (either tube or hired bus) to get to SCD whereas she could walk to local comprehensive and have local friends from the school.
decaff

Post by decaff »

If your happy with local comprehensive why don't you consider changing your preferences and place local school above SCD you can then join your local schools CI list. Time to change preferences is coming soon but obviously still keep WGGS as top choice.
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

I wouldn't travel to a marginally better school. How is it better? Average final exam scores aren't much use to judge it once they are in the school ànd start finding their interests.

My dd1 loathed primary geography but the great department at the comp has really grabbed her and I predict it will play a part in her future career.
asldoc

Post by asldoc »

Absolutely over the moon!!!! :D We called WGGS today and were told we have a place! Letter in the mail.
Musicgirl

Post by Musicgirl »

Congratulations! That's terrific news! :D