Watford consortium Music exam

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
vasu

Watford consortium Music exam

Post by vasu »

What does the first round entail? Are the kids given individual headphones or the notes are played from a music system? As you must have gathered that I am running blind here. I have no music knowledge and my son is being coached by his piano tutor. Please help me understand. I realise that, if or when he gets through the first round he would be called for music audition.
Having one child makes you a parent; having two you are a referee.
Cutting42

Re: Watford consortium Music exam

Post by Cutting42 »

A few posts on this topic, this is a detailed one http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 18&t=25621

The test is recorded and is known as the Bentley test. The chord test is done with std intervals but the test for pitch lower and higher is comprised of notes much less than a semitone. Some are pretty hard to determine.

I tested both my DC's initially with no practice and then after some practice a couple of months later. There was very little difference and my view is that you can either do it or you can't. To do something I would practice playing chords with 2,3 and 4 notes and get DS to answer, just do half a dozen a day, should only take a couple of minutes.

The answer paper is in 4 sections,
20 questions on pitch you just indicate the second note is above, below or the same the first note
10 on tune recognition where you indicate the note that was different in the second playing of the tune
20 on chords where you identify how many are notes in the chord
10 on rhythm, you identify if the two rhythm patterns are the same or if different, which beat is different.

The test is well explained at the outset and I have not heard anyone being confused by the test.

HTH

Sorry forgot to say, the test is played through a sound system not headphones.
vasu

Post by vasu »

Cutting42 wrote:A few posts on this topic, this is a detailed one http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 18&t=25621

The test is recorded and is known as the Bentley test. The chord test is done with std intervals but the test for pitch lower and higher is comprised of notes much less than a semitone. Some are pretty hard to determine.

I tested both my DC's initially with no practice and then after some practice a couple of months later. There was very little difference and my view is that you can either do it or you can't. To do something I would practice playing chords with 2,3 and 4 notes and get DS to answer, just do half a dozen a day, should only take a couple of minutes.

The answer paper is in 4 sections,
20 questions on pitch you just indicate the second note is above, below or the same the first note
10 on tune recognition where you indicate the note that was different in the second playing of the tune
20 on chords where you identify how many are notes in the chord
10 on rhythm, you identify if the two rhythm patterns are the same or if different, which beat is different.

The test is well explained at the outset and I have not heard anyone being confused by the test.

HTH

Sorry forgot to say, the test is played through a sound system not headphones.
Thank you so much cutting42. Though the music jargon is all Latin to me but ds understood it. This was very helpful.
Having one child makes you a parent; having two you are a referee.
Cutting42

Post by Cutting42 »

vasu wrote:
Thank you so much cutting42. Though the music jargon is all Latin to me but ds understood it. This was very helpful.

You are welcome, glad DS understood, my DC are so far ahead of me on music now it is scary..... but nice.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now