madsystem

Sw herts test what did people think

Post by madsystem »

So test done, what did people think.
Did child get all questions done
Daogroupie

Re: Sw herts test what did people think

Post by Daogroupie »

Half the students are sitting this pm and some more on the backup date so do not post any details of the questions. DG
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I would not post anything ... even numbers of questions might help.
madsystem

Post by madsystem »

Ok when is back up date?
Anyone know time or style of bushey meads test for next sat.
Hera

Post by Hera »

The back up date is early October so a while yet.
madsystem

Post by madsystem »

Boys grammar poorly organised, saturdayam, large numbers channelled through small areas, having been kept waiting outside, teacher outside had no idea where to direct children with special needs, when they had an allocated room. Stressful. They were good few years ago when other child sat test, what went wrong this time?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

There has been a major increase in numbers in the last few years. Schools are finding it hard to cope. How many years ago did you experience it? DG
vasu

Post by vasu »

My older one took 11+ just 3 years ago and I am taken aback by the sheer increase in number of kids taking the exam this year(younger ds doing 11+).I agree with Dg. Maybe the school was overwhelmed.
Having one child makes you a parent; having two you are a referee.
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

Maybe this a reason why I for one would welcome a return to the old system, ie CAF in in October, exams in November. Look at Mill Hill county for example, thousands of children sitting for very few places, many of whom have no intention of applying to the school, they are using it as a free mock. Is this fair to those who genuinely want a place at the school?

If numbers keep going up and up each year, where will it end??

What on earth was wrong with the old system anyway? Yes you might 'waste' a choice if your child doesn't do well enough in the exam but you can rank either 4 or 6 schools depending ok where you live. As long as you make sensible choices in terms of alternative schools on the CAF, I don't see the problem. Most reasonably well informed parents have an idea of how bright their dc are and if it's worth having a try at a selective school.
onzeplus

Post by onzeplus »

I get the feeling that there are more DCs sitting the test every year and that ther is a lot more preparation going on too. The 18 outer catchment places at WGSG could filled with just the DCs of people I know (all of whom seem bright and well prepared).

It's going to be an anxious time waiting for the results but I'm afraid that even when we know the scores things won't necessarily be that much clearer. As a result of all the bright, well prepared DCs I suspect that cut-off scores will be considerably higher than previous years so even what would previously have been regarded as a good score may not be enough to feel confident about putting a school down on the CAF.

The numbers applying to a school based on all criteria are published (I seem to remember there were between 600 to 700 applicants to WGSG last year) but I don't know how many applicants hoped to gain entry via the academic test or the music test.