Sw herts test what did people think

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Middlesexmum

Re: Sw herts test what did people think

Post by Middlesexmum »

onzeplus wrote:
I'm afraid that even when we know the scores things won't necessarily be that much clearer
Exactly. With the exception of DAO who do the belt and braces approach to giving out scores/ranks so you know exactly where you are, other schools vary widely in information given out.

IMO sitting exams in September (or even worse June/July of Year 5) is much too early. Children haven't even had a chance to settle into Year 6, to catch their breath after the summer holidays. And for what? To get some vague idea of whether a place might be within their reach?
noonynunu

Post by noonynunu »

Middlesexmum wrote: What on earth was wrong with the old system anyway? Yes you might 'waste' a choice if your child doesn't do well enough in the exam but you can rank either 4 or 6 schools depending ok where you live. As long as you make sensible choices in terms of alternative schools on the CAF, I don't see the problem.
The problem this year is that there is a projected deficit of school places in Watford. A report produced in 2013 states that the Watford area will be 30 places short. Whilst Bushey Meads are adding an extra form, if the figures in the report under estimate the number of places that are needed, some children will be without a local school place. Most of the parents I know would rather know ahead of time if this is likely to be the case so that they can look for alternative arrangements without missing deadlines.

Hertfordshire allows for 4 preferences to be given, however, in Watford there is no longer a safe choice. The non selective schools were all allocated on allocation day last year so are unlikely to guarantee to accommodate an increase in applications. Admittedly it is likely children will get in via waiting lists for these schools but it is still going to be a gamble.
Queenie

Post by Queenie »

I was also under the impression Bushey Meads was adding a form but according to this years prospectus (under admissions for September 2015) their will still only be 170 places. Not sure what is going on there. :?
madsystem

Post by madsystem »

At bushey meads today, admissions lady said yes 200spaces. So 20 the 10% for tech test input and thus. 45spaces in each of the 4 25% sections. Its then distance within these, lower ability short distances, highest ability goes further out, as people this those scores have genuine choice with other schools.
Queenie

Post by Queenie »

Thank you Madsystem. That's quite a slip up from BM to make a mistake in the prospectus. My DS will get in as a sibling but it might make a difference for some of her class friends.
HenryVIII

Post by HenryVIII »

I haven't seen the prospectus but the work hasn't begun yet, in fact they were carrying out a consultation about the traffic impact recently. The PAN for 2014 on their website (that's current Y6) is 170; so this probably means that for the current Y5 hoping to enter the school in 2016 the PAN is expected to go up to 200. I am sure that there is a rule that the school has to share its admission arrangements in a timely fashion which means that they would need to publish a change probably around next Spring.
madsystem

Post by madsystem »

As said it was head and admissions secretary said they are taking, 200. That is current year six for 2015 start. Building work is planned, but starting with new six form centre and then old one reused for other classes., so doesn.t sound like need new buildings to take new pupils in sept. maybe county just not updated pan on web site. Prospectus at open day was general one, with up to date data etc added in ie 2014 results.
2g2c

Post by 2g2c »

From Herts schools directory

Type: Academy (co-educational) Number on Roll: 1035
Published Admission Number: 170*

* In 2015 this school will admit an additional 30 students to Year 7 under local agreement

So this will take the number up to the 200
Queenie

Post by Queenie »

'Our Published Admission Number for 2015 will be 170. However, we will also be admitting a further 30 students to Year 7 under a local agreement with Hertfordshire County Council. This arrangement forms part of our forthcoming expansion programme, whereby our PAN will increase to 200 from 2016 onwards.'

I think this explains the confusion! :wink:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now