Herts consortium first round music test results are out

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
hopefulin2014

Re: Herts consortium first round music test results are out

Post by hopefulin2014 »

Hi - My DD unfortunately missed the pass mark by 1 ! So frustrating . We wonder if there is an appeals process at this stage - we have some good grounds but not sure if there is a process or if anyone has tried to appeal at this stage or do you have to wait until March when school places are offered .

Well done to all that made it through to the second round.
Cutting42

Post by Cutting42 »

hopefulin2014 wrote:Hi - My DD unfortunately missed the pass mark by 1 ! So frustrating . We wonder if there is an appeals process at this stage - we have some good grounds but not sure if there is a process or if anyone has tried to appeal at this stage or do you have to wait until March when school places are offered .

Firstly commiserations it must be so annoying be that close. It is a bit different to appealing the academic papers as usually the appeal process is run after the main results are announced. I would try to appeal right now as you need a response to get an audition but I am not sure who to. WBGS administer the test, probably where I would start.
Hera

Post by Hera »

hopefulin2014 wrote:Hi - My DD unfortunately missed the pass mark by 1 ! So frustrating . We wonder if there is an appeals process at this stage - we have some good grounds but not sure if there is a process or if anyone has tried to appeal at this stage or do you have to wait until March when school places are offered .

Check out the Rickmansworth website there was something about this on there.
decaff

Post by decaff »

I know how you feel Hera as my DS missed out by 1 mark 2 years ago. I can't see how there could possibly be an appeals process at this stage as there will have been a large number of children who have just missed out. However its worth talking to school about this.
decaff

Post by decaff »

Yes it does say on Rickmansworth website that if you scored 46 you can ask for a remark.
K1w1mum

Post by K1w1mum »

AML wrote:Can you still get a musical place if you are OUTSIDE the catchment area? Is there a chance?
I don't there is a chance of a selective place (music or academic) if you are outside the catchment area of a school. I do know some people have tried this and got good enough marks to get places at the Watford Grammars, but they were not given one as they were not in the catchment area.

One family even took it to appeal, but were not successful.
hopefulin2014

Post by hopefulin2014 »

decaff wrote:Yes it does say on Rickmansworth website that if you scored 46 you can ask for a remark.
Thank you all for the advice and comments.
I can't find the reference on Ricky website - where is it ?
1Watford

Post by 1Watford »

Hopefulin2014 -

I would advise to get in touch with the test administrator as soon as possible. It's difficult because the SW Consortium website has lots about appeals for the academic test and nothing for music! Do you have evidence of your grounds for appeal?

From experience (although this does relate to the audition) - we left it too late to complain and the process was very unclear. No one we spoke to had any idea whether there was even a way you could get a remark.

Re. audition - for anyone else interested....

My DD had a terrible time in audition. She was first in the day and wasn't offered a warm up room but was told she could warm up in the audition room because she was so early. Unfortunately she only had time to tune before the examiners arrived. They did say she could have a practise run through but it was very distracting because they were getting chairs out/taking their coats off etc.

She had chosen to play from memory with accompaniment but the panel member who was accompanying did not realise she had chosen to play repeats so made her restart. He then forgot the repeat on the restart so she needed to start for a third time.

She did end up with a high score despite this so it seemed churlish to complain at the time but she actually ended up falling one mark short of the allocation day score - although did eventually get a place.

With hindsight we should have complained immediately - even though we thought a remark could only be requested after allocation day. No notes are made about circumstances during the audition - just the mark is written on the mark sheet.
Mummy3

Post by Mummy3 »

Thank you all for your kind messages. My daughter (sorry I'm new to this I don't get all the abbreviations!) scored 53, which looks like a good score.
She's decided to sing at the audition. We only have a week to prepare. She's fine. I'm just worried as the song is 3.5 mins long. Should we cut it down? Will they really be so strict as to stop her mid performance??
I'm also wondering what questions they may ask. How do they score them in this round??
So many question!! X
hopefulin2014

Post by hopefulin2014 »

Well done to mummy 3's daughter - best of luck to her.

I found reference on Ricky website to re-mark, thanks!

We do have evidence of our grounds of appeal - letter been sent. No news from consortium manger !!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now