Effect of reduction in academic selection on applications?

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
muddy

Effect of reduction in academic selection on applications?

Post by muddy »

Do you think the reduction from 35% to 25% academic selection will have any effect on applications to either Parmiters or Rickmansworth?

I'm wondering whether it may increase or decrease applications in those schools or alter applications in nearby schools like Clement Danes/Queens who have kept their criteria the same as last year.

Also anyone any experience of how hard it is to get into Queens or Clement Danes on the academic criteria? Also what does the sport selection test involve at Queens?

Thanks in advance,

muddy.
watmum

Post by watmum »

I don't think I am going to be a great deal of help! but for what it's worth, I do not think that the reduction in academic numbers will make any difference at all to the total number of overall applications they get. I think if people decide they fancy Parmiter's they will give it a shot regardless. None of my acquaintances have had success in getting into Clement Danes on academic, but that could be because they live nearer to Parmiter's they got that instead and it was easier to travel to.? I know folks who got places to Queens with relative ease, but that was on test and not on the sport criterion. I also know children who failed to secure a place at Queens, but it was in a MASSIVE sibling year.

I am sure someone will come along and be more helpful! Regards
muddy

Post by muddy »

Thanks watmum. All feeling very stressed out about the process at the moment and would love to be able to fast forward 6 months!
Watford87

Post by Watford87 »

Agree with watmum.

Initially do not think that it will make a difference. Parents will want to get their children into these schools regardless of the fact that the "pass mark" is likely to go up because there are fewer places. What is there to lose as long parents have chosen a third choice school as a fallback.

Over time however some parents might become more realistic - it's hard to say. Perhaps more time/money will be spent on getting the children ready for the test given the competition for fewer places.

Watford87

Post by Guest »

Watmum, your friends that got Parmiters not Clement Danes on academic, could it not simply be that they put Parmiters first? (You get offered your highest choice school that you qualify for.)