Parmiters or wggs?

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Ess30

Re: Parmiters or wggs?

Post by Ess30 »

By the same token - what is the general impression of Parmiters head - both in terms of his leadership style - and whether he is likely to be in it for the longhaul?

I got less of a sense of the senior management team at Parmiters. The SMT at Queens and WGGS seemed to be more visible at the open day. I don't know if that is a clue to the management structure of the school?
KS10

Post by KS10 »

The current head at Parmiter's started in 2010 so hopefully he has a while to go before he thinks of retiring or moving on to pastures new.
Richard12

Post by Richard12 »

I would love to hear from others who already have personal experience of these schools, you may already have an existing child attending. Beyond the high academic achievements at both schools, what is the pastoral care like? Our daughter entered for SW Herts Music only, her grades at primary school are average. Could a very high achieving school / partially selective, be 'too much' of a challenge to the average child?
3b1g

Post by 3b1g »

Richard12: I have responded to your question on the other thread.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

DD got a sibling place at Parmiter's. She isn't as academic as DS but loves it there. Her form tutor last year was very understanding. For example, DD wrote in her planner 'too much hwk' and when her FT read it she actually checked what had been set that week against the hwk timetable. She agreed with DD. Unfortunately, she left at the end of last year. This year, she has a fun FT who has managed to get the form to gel even further, which I didn't think was possible. The Head has been known to bemoan the culture of targets that exists and has said that while results are important, he wants more than anything for the pupils to leave school with decent values. Do pm me if you have any particular worries about the place.
K1w1mum

Post by K1w1mum »

DD2 got a sibling place at WGGS this year, thanks to her older sister getting an academic place the year before.
DD2 is not as academic as her sister, and has some mild SNs. WGGS has been fantastic with her so far. I can't fault the pastoral support and her head of year has been happy to work closely with me, to keep her on track. We've just had her first school report and she is working very well considering it's all been such an upheaval for her.
One of the 'secrets' of WGGS is how well they do with 'average' children- I guess having so many able kids gives them some time and space to work closely with middle attainers.
DD2 is getting used to the standard of work, and I'm pleased to see her trying harder and harder with each bit of homework.
I am confident that she will achiever her full potential at WGGS as will DD1.

ETA, I think your DD would do well at both Parmiters or WGGS and you should look at travel to help you decide if your DD doesn't have a preference.
Richard12

Post by Richard12 »

Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply on here and the music thread. Very reassuring that slightly less academic children are happy and thriving at both schools!
Cutting42

Post by Cutting42 »

Richard12 wrote:Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply on here and the music thread. Very reassuring that slightly less academic children are happy and thriving at both schools!
I would echo many comments on here about the pastoral care. Also they place great emphasis on "Effort" as well as ability. Each prize-giving has equal categories for effort alongside achievements. Report cards highlight these as well. They are very good at bringing along the DD in subjects they may not be a natural in. My DD is very Arts and Humanities oriented but the school has kept her focused on the 3 sciences and Maths to the point she wants to take Maths as one of her A levels and could take any of the sciences if she chose (she won't take a science however).
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now