Age standardised scores

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now

Age standardised scores

Post by Guest »

Hello,

My daughter will be taking the (NFER) VR and Maths test in Watford area at end of November. I still don't quite understand the age standardised scores. To begin with, we were told that a child needs to be getting over 80% to get their first choice school. Anecdotally, they need to be getting over 90% for a chance at Parmiters or Grammars. My daughter got in the 70 per cents for a recent mock test, and was told her age standardised scores of over 120 were very good by her tutor. (She often gets 90% and over in the normal weekly tests.)

What are these age standardised scores, and what number should they be for Parmiters? (120? 130?) The other schools I am considering are Clement Danes, Rickmansworth, and Queens.

Any guidance helpful, as I need to finalise the three schools before Wednesday!
WP

Re: Age standardised scores

Post by WP »

Anonymous wrote:What are these age standardised scores, and what number should they be for Parmiters? (120? 130?) The other schools I am considering are Clement Danes, Rickmansworth, and Queens.

Any guidance helpful, as I need to finalise the three schools before Wednesday!
You have less time than that, as each of these schools also require a Supplementary Information Form to be submitted directly to them, probably by the same date, and they'll be closed this week for half term, so you'll be relying on the (unreliable) post.

I know nothing of Clement Danes, but rumour has it that Rickmansworth is a bit harder than Queen's, though a fair bit easier than Parmiter's and the Grammars.
oneworriedmum

Post by oneworriedmum »

Thanks WP. It was me again. Don't worry I'm all too aware of the deadlines! I've already applied to Ricky (which closed on 19th) and today I'm doing CD and Q - unless I have another wobble in favour of Parmiters, but I think it will be a wasted vote, unfortunately.
Stig

Post by Stig »

I know this response is too late but I think I can help explain the standardised scores.

The consortium papers are marked out of a maximum of 140 points. Once completed the mark is 'standardised' using a weighting for age. So children who are old for their year would have a few points removed while those who are young might have a few points added. This is to even out age related anomalies and level the palying field.

See http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/standa ... scores.php.

And http://www.nfer.ac.uk/research-areas/as ... -ranks.cfm

I think a standardised score of 120+ is generally seen as needed for the Watford grammar schools.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now