Are Primary Head told where yr 6 pupils are going?

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
possum

Are Primary Head told where yr 6 pupils are going?

Post by possum »

Does anyone in Hertfordshire know if Primary School Heads are told in advance, or indeed at all where their Year 6 pupils have been allocated?
Last edited by possum on Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3b1g

Re: Are Primary Head told where yr 6 pupils are going?

Post by 3b1g »

If I remember correctly, the head teachers are usually told a few days before the offers are emailed to the parents.
Cutting42

Post by Cutting42 »

3b1g wrote:If I remember correctly, the head teachers are usually told a few days before the offers are emailed to the parents.
This agrees with what I was told. It is apparently so they can anticipate any major issues or upsets and put support in place if required.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

And that would be fine if they were requested to keep it to themselves and not tell the rest of the staff, some of whom are also parents. But County should be explaining that on the phone and not lying. When my dd was in Y6 we had two TA parents in the class who got the info and told their dcs who told their friends.... We kept well away from the office and the teachers and even went to offer day at a private school on allocation day to keep away from those we knew already had the info. DG
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Cannot see a single benefit of heads knowing ahead of the children and parents. Not one. Support won't be 'put in place' ready, and any decent teacher can deal with any issues without needing advance warning. As far as I know they weren't told at our school and wonder if it's an urban myth.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

The date this information is available to primary schools authorised persons is documented in coordinated arrangements for admissions for each LA. It is usually at least a week before National Allocation Day.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Does anyone know if they also get results of selective school exams before the parents/children do?
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

In some areas, schools also get the results, but most don't get it. Perhaps it was Kent or Bucks, where primary schools are given the entrance test results, not so sure now.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

If the selective schools are state schools then yes they do. My dd's are at DAO and they had that info plus info on QE, HBS and the Watford Consortium. They are just state schools so no difference to non selective schools on allocation day. DG
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now