Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
roselyn

VR books - Order of use

Post by roselyn »

Hi all

I could see variety of publications for VR -
Susan Daughtrey, Bond, Dynamite, Athey, Learning Together, AFN, IPS, CGP, Walsh, Bright sparks, GL Assessment, Step by Step, R&S, MW, PHI, Letts
Not sure whether I missed any :shock:

For Moray House VR -
Could anyone please tell me what are the books and test papers we should use/practise and the order of doing them - easiest to toughest ?

As some of the schools moved to CEM, any schools which doesn’t say CEM as examiner - Can we assume it would be a traditional VR like Susan Daughtrey ?
and the preparation for them (traditional VR) would be the same as for Moray house ?

Thanks

Ps: I had posted this in VR section, no replies yet. Hence thought of posting it here as well.
Daogroupie

Re: VR books - Order of use

Post by Daogroupie »

Hello, The Moray House papers used by DAO and Watford are 100 questions in 45 minutes. Timing is the most important feature of the exam so make sure you make that top priority. It is hard to find 100 question VR papers, most of them are 80 so you need to adjust the timing accordingly.

My dds both sat DAO and Watford and felt that Athey were the closest papers so best to leave them until last. There are 3 packs so 18 papers. Walsh , Bright Sparks and the Tutors and Learning Together are all quite tough so also leave those to the summer.

Best ones to start with are Alpha, AFN and IPS. IPS does some great ten minute ones that you can carry around and do in spare moments. I would really recommend those.

DG
Lady P

Post by Lady P »

My DD's tutor got her started on Verbal Reasoning with four Susan Daughtrey books: Verbal Reasoning Technique and Practice, Volumes 1-4.

These were very good as they take you through each type of verbal reasoning question that you will be asked in an exam, giving you examples and then setting you a test for each one.
Hera

Post by Hera »

We prepared for only the South West Herts consortium exam; their verbal reasoning is Moray house. We used the following books in this sort of order:

Susan Daughtrey: Verbal Reasoning Technique and Practice: 1-4

Learning together VR:Preparation for 11+ and 12+ Tests: book 1 - 4 (A lot of these questions are numerical and mathsy which seems to be a good match with the real thing)

Susan Daughtrey: Graded test papers 1-2

Susan Daughtrey: Bright Sparks, standard version

Athey packs 1-3 (I spaced these out from June to September as these are the closest to Moray House)

Walsh Verbal reasoning 1-3 (Although these papers only come in a MC format they contain really challenging vocab which is great)

Learning together VR:Preparation for 11+ and 12+ Tests: Challenge papers (these are purely extended problem solving questions and pretty hard)

We also did some GL assessment papers and the Bond full VR papers along the way, but we never actually did the Bond books.
I also used the important words for verbal reasoning from this website and went through and discussed the meaning of all the words;I learnt a fair few along the way!

I think that was about it. There are lots of other publishers that you can use which I am sure are equally good but those worked well for us with the two children that have gone through the process.
roselyn

Post by roselyn »

Many thanks DG, Lady P and Hera.

I was really confused on what to start with...
Your inputs are so helpful, will buy and practice them as per the orders suggested by you all.