advice on preparation

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Hera

Re: advice on preparation

Post by Hera »

I guess it depends how you define tutoring. Mine were only ever "tutored by myself" and I think making sure kids are secure on the basics in year 4 is an enormous help and makes the the whole process stress free. I have been reading and discussing books with mine since they were tiny, playing number games, counting cars. In fact I read to them in the womb so perhaps I have tutored them pre birth. I think it is important for the OP to do what ever they and their child feel comfortable with. There is no right or wrong way.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

My two would have rebelled if we'd started any VR/NVR before the beginning of year 5. NVR in particular is quite soul-destroyingly tedious, in my humble opinion. I'm pleased so many schools seem to be dropping it in favour of broader English and Maths testing.

Do be careful, itsonlyme, to take specific preparation very slowly if you feel you must start this early, as you don't want to put your child off completely. Far better - paraphrasing what others have said - to make sure they are having a well-rounded, brain-stretching experience of life, with lots of mental and physical stimulation to engage them fully with the world around us.

Good luck!
Hera

Post by Hera »

Peridot wrote: Far better - paraphrasing what others have said - to make sure they are having a well-rounded, brain-stretching experience of life, with lots of mental and physical stimulation to engage them fully with the world around us.
Good luck!
Exactly, much better and more clearly put than me.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Not at all, Hera!
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Hera wrote:I guess it depends how you define tutoring. Mine were only ever "tutored by myself" and I think making sure kids are secure on the basics in year 4 is an enormous help and makes the the whole process stress free. I have been reading and discussing books with mine since they were tiny, playing number games, counting cars. In fact I read to them in the womb so perhaps I have tutored them pre birth. I think it is important for the OP to do what ever they and their child feel comfortable with. There is no right or wrong way.
I define tutoring as teaching a DC a specific topic where they need extra support. In the context of the 11+ it is not about securing the basics but about using specific 11+ materials to prepare for the test i.e those mentioned in the OP and if it is being done by parent, uncle, friend next-door- neighbour it is still tutoring. As Peridot points out start too early and it could become tedious for DC. Unlike Peridot though the NVR is the favourite bit for everyone in this family :D
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

We are all different :D
itsonlyme

Post by itsonlyme »

Thanks for all the comments! Very interesting to see the different views / definitions etc. What confuses me somewhat then is why Bond / CGP / many have year / age group books which seem to apply from before y5 i.e. age 6-7 / year 4 etc. Presumably there is some value in going through those, which is where my question was coming from. We'll look to pick up Bond and CGP at some point, the question becomes what else to get. We're aiming for Watford Grammar and St Helens / Habs so need to work out what is relevant (and in which order of difficulty).

Separately, we've just bought boggles so look forward to playing that!

Again, all the thoughts are appreciated!
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

The reason they have these publications is to make money just like all publishers.

Some of the stuff may originally have been used for assessment purposes in schools. I remember doing them back in my day but we are a consumer society now and companies will do their utmost to facilitate that and line their pockets in the process.

P.s What is Boggles? Tried googling but get a dictionary definition and not much else :)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It's 'Boggle' ...
itsonlyme

Post by itsonlyme »

you beat me to it!!! Thanks for the correction :D