cross sibling rule challenge

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Mgnmum

cross sibling rule challenge

Post by Mgnmum »

There is a rumour going round that someone has objected formally to the x-sibling rule again at the grammar schools for entry 2016, and that it is going to judicial review. Can anyone confirm or deny this?
WP

Re: cross sibling rule challenge

Post by WP »

It would be an objection to the Schools Adjudicator, rather than a judicial review (which could only happen after a decision by the adjudicator). The deadline for filing objections is 30th June. The Office of the Schools Adjudicator publishes adjudicator decisions, but not objections pending decision. If there is an objection, the schools would be notified, but they wouldn't announce it either unless there was to be a public meeting.
decaff

Post by decaff »

I would have thought we would have heard if there had been a formal objection ie Watford Observer etc. I gather school admissions code does not expressly forbid it now. Where did you hear this?
noonynunu

Post by noonynunu »

decaff wrote:I would have thought we would have heard if there had been a formal objection ie Watford Observer etc. I gather school admissions code does not expressly forbid it now. Where did you hear this?
I wonder if the challenge could have come from the following (point no. 29)

http://www.hertsdirect.org/docs/pdf/adm ... /osa1516wb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've not challenged it btw. I think it would be easier to challenge the allocation of outer catchment places, particularly in light of the fact that the music cut off score for the WGBS has been lower for the outer catchment for two years running. In theory this could mean that it is easier to get a music place if you live in the outer catchment area.
thumbelina

Post by thumbelina »

anyone in favour of cross sibling rules should contact the OSA office asap as there is definitely a challenge being adjudicated currently
Mgnmum

Post by Mgnmum »

There does not seem to be a process by which you can support the current admissions process only a way of objecting to them! The only thing I can think of is to email: osa.team@osa.gsi.gov.uk

The big issue is for those parents who have chosen not to tutor or enter their child for the exams on the basis of the cross sibling rule and they will not find out that this could be changed until <8 weeks before the exams, hardly fair, especially if the appeal to the adjudicator is not public
decaff

Post by decaff »

What happened last time x sibling rule was dropped?
noonynunu

Post by noonynunu »

Mgnmum wrote:The big issue is for those parents who have chosen not to tutor or enter their child for the exams on the basis of the cross sibling rule and they will not find out that this could be changed until <8 weeks before the exams, hardly fair, especially if the appeal to the adjudicator is not public
But then consider those children who live 300 meters from the school but don't get a place whereas siblings living some 3 miles or more from the school get a place. Some consider this to be equally unfair.
noonynunu

Post by noonynunu »

decaff wrote:What happened last time x sibling rule was dropped?
Significanly more places were allocated on the basis of proximity to the school (52 in 2012).
thumbelina

Post by thumbelina »

does anybody have any stats on how many of that 52 moved out of their rental address within the year :lol:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now