The WGGS Triple Science Saga

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Mollymoo46

Re: The WGGS Triple Science Saga

Post by Mollymoo46 »

Girls have been banded from A* to D. Band A* are permitted to take triple science. Bands A-D will take combined science, with 1 class in the year group doing Foundation.
Last edited by Mollymoo46 on Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Triple science split into one class of 38 and one of 37? No wonder the staff don't think they can get any but the very brightest up to scratch in all three papers with classes that size :shock: . Lab sessions must be a bit of a squash.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Sorry, but this school sounds awful!! What hideous person decided to name the classes? A*? That just confirms that the school are only concerned with their league tables. My sympathies....
Stroller

Post by Stroller »

I agree. This is a rotten way to name classes. I would be heading for the hills, or to a comp if closer.
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

kenyancowgirl wrote:Sorry, but this school sounds awful!! What hideous person decided to name the classes? A*? That just confirms that the school are only concerned with their league tables. My sympathies....

+ 1

I am truly shocked at this 'naming' choice - what messages does it give? Appalling :shock:
Mollymoo46

Post by Mollymoo46 »

I have re read some of the correspondence the school sent about the science sets. There will be 3 sets for triple science and 6 sets for combined science,one of which will be the foundation class. So there will not be classes of 37-38 in size.
The school did however send a letter with Banding categories and the girls have been put in bands A* , A,B C and D. The letter does state that the grading of the bands is not a future prediction of the girls final GCSE result, but it is difficult to believe that statement.
I do think this whole science debacle has been handled badly. I hope that the majority of those girls who wanted to do triple science are not disappointed.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Stroller wrote:I agree. This is a rotten way to name classes. I would be heading for the hills, or to a comp if closer.
It is a comprehensive school, albeit a partially-selective one. The 'Grammar' title is presumably a legacy of a former existence.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Stroller

Post by Stroller »

ToadMum wrote:
Stroller wrote:I agree. This is a rotten way to name classes. I would be heading for the hills, or to a comp if closer.
It is a comprehensive school, albeit a partially-selective one. The 'Grammar' title is presumably a legacy of a former existence.
:shock:

Why on earth are parents condoning this lunacy?
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Stroller wrote:
ToadMum wrote:
:shock:

Why on earth are parents condoning this lunacy?
The existence of partially-selective schools, the inaccurate naming of comprehensives, the naming of GCSE Science sets, or the decision to offer triple science solely on the school's opinion of the likelihood of a gel not letting the side down by sullying their league table position? Take your pick (as the Vicar said, handing round a plate of rock cakes) :lol:
Stroller

Post by Stroller »

ToadMum wrote: The existence of partially-selective schools, the inaccurate naming of comprehensives, the naming of GCSE Science sets, or the decision to offer triple science solely on the school's opinion of the likelihood of a gel not letting the side down by sullying their league table position? Take your pick (as the Vicar said, handing round a plate of rock cakes) :lol:
Mainly the highlighted two...

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now