The WGGS Triple Science Saga

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Guest55

Re: The WGGS Triple Science Saga

Post by Guest55 »

They don't disregard students with double science however they will note which school and, if it's selective, will be aware that most do triple.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Guest55 wrote:Looking at KS2 data these schools have an intake very similar to many Kent and Bucks GS ...
I suppose just because you didn't get into a partially selective comprehensive on an 'academic' ticket, doesn't necessarily mean that you might not be just as able as those who did (one does wonder, on the other hand, about the 'comprehensive' schools with apparently no 'below expectations', or whatever the new classification will be, entrants).

One thought, though - what about the girls who really have no interest in pursuing science subjects post-GCSE but who are coincidentally very good at it - if personal preference isn't entertained, there must be a few of them who would happily swap with the 'enforced combined science' group if it were allowed? In a school where everyone who isn't a complete disaster at science is advised to do triple anyway to keep their options open, fair enough, but where there are girls doing well who would possibly prefer to be doing triple but who have been told they can't (referencing K1w1mum's DD's confusion), not to allow any pupil involvement in the decision seems particularly mean.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
K1w1mum

Post by K1w1mum »

If universities were to disregard students with combined science, this would discriminate against those from schools which don't offer triple science.

I have a boy who has just finished Y9 at WBGS, and we have not received an equivalent letter. He is under the impression that he will be entered for three science GCSEs.
My friend teaches at an outstanding comprehensive that gets excellent results. They are cutting back their triple science numbers as well but will not tell parents/pupils until the start of Y10...
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Hera wrote:I think the above post is a bit harsh and unkind as well as not true. Universities do not judge on GCSE as I don't think all schools offer triple science and knowing the school I am sure that they would not discourage a child from taking A-Level science. The positive and sensible attitude of K1w1mum's daughter sounds exactly like the kind of girl who will do well. It is interesting that the girls school have made their announcements now as I think at the boys we will only find out when the timetables are published for year 10 and then parents have been told that a child who is put in a triple science set but is struggling can be moved to combined.
Hera, my use of the word "she" was "generic", in the sense of using kiwimum's DD to describe how a girl at the school may be made to feel. Sorry, I thought that was obvious.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

K1w1mum wrote:My friend teaches at an outstanding comprehensive that gets excellent results. They are cutting back their triple science numbers as well but will not tell parents/pupils until the start of Y10...
...so at the start of a year then? Not at the start of the summer holidays where no discussion can be had?

Toadmum has a relevant point - the fact that the girls aren't involved in the discussion means those with a natural art bent, who may be good at science but dislike it, are not given the option to just do combined science, giving them more leeway to focus on their own interests and freeing up one of the 75 precious triple places for a girl deemed borderline.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

K1w1mum wrote:
If universities were to disregard students with combined science, this would discriminate against those from schools which don't offer triple science.

I have a boy who has just finished Y9 at WBGS, and we have not received an equivalent letter. He is under the impression that he will be entered for three science GCSEs.
My friend teaches at an outstanding comprehensive that gets excellent results. They are cutting back their triple science numbers as well but will not tell parents/pupils until the start of Y10...
So what will the surprise Combined group do with their new-found free periods? Will they find themselves with a new 'option' (presumably they would have had more if they were choosing combined from the start than they think they have now?) chosen for them according to what will fit into the timetable?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
AgNO3

Post by AgNO3 »

Guest55 wrote:The 'jump' to A level from double science will be even greater than it is now.
Exactly. The school may well be propagating the idea that the combined science lot are all fine and welcome to do science at A Levels, but how can it be a level playing field for them when they have such a vast gap to bridge? Not to mention the knock in confidence to the combined science girls who actually like science and had planned to follow that path to their career.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

AgNO3 wrote:
Guest55 wrote:The 'jump' to A level from double science will be even greater than it is now.
Exactly. The school may well be propagating the idea that the combined science lot are all fine and welcome to do science at A Levels, but how can it be a level playing field for them when they have such a vast gap to bridge? Not to mention the knock in confidence to the combined science girls who actually like science and had planned to follow that path to their career.
I'm so old, I not only did O levels, but we were allowed to choose any combination of sciences (I liked all three but for some reason decided against a full course in Chemistry and ended up with A in Biology and Chemistry-with-Physics and a B in full course Physics, taking Biology on to A level). Perhaps there is a science teacher handy who can confirm that getting A*A* (or 8/9 x2?) in Combined will be a better foundation for A level in any or all of the sciences than AAA (7/8?x3) in Triple in a couple of years time?
Hera

Post by Hera »

...reading between the lines, I am assuming your daughter has not been offered Triple then? As in she: plans to study Biology A level regardless of the fact that she was not offered Triple Award?
Hera, my use of the word "she" was "generic", in the sense of using kiwimum's DD to describe how a girl at the school may be made to feel. Sorry, I thought that was obvious.
Sounds personal to me kenyancowgirl. I think it is important to be mindful of how people may be feeling when posting. Clearly it was not obvious to me otherwise I would not of posted what I did in an attempt to try to remind people that there are families dealing with and processing the schools recent decision and that although it is ok to discuss it, it should be done with tact and thoughtfulness. I am not happy with how the school have handled this but for parents and children currently dealing with it, it is completely right to look at the positives and move forwards.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Have you read the entire thread Hera? Possibly not...

And, sorry, but on a public forum, where some parents of pupils at the school were being very positive about the school, at the beginning of the thread, it is to be expected that others will see it differently and not so positively. In kiwimum's case, earlier she was positive but believed at that time that her DD would be offered triple award - I was pointing out how she might now be able to see how other parents were feeling.

If you are not happy with how the school have handled it, address it with the school - that is where the fault lies. They have behaved appallingly.