Hertfordshire consortium

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

WP

Post by WP »

tense wrote:I've often wondered this! You read about appeals in other counties (esp Bucks) where the advice is to present lots of evidence of academic achievement - & presumably emphasise how your child (hopefully!) only missed out by a couple of marks.
Bucks has two kinds of appeals: selection appeals (in January), which determine whether children near the boundary are grammar school material, and transfer appeals (after allocation). Herts only has the second kind, because it doesn't assume a grammar school standard. Missing out by a few marks wouldn't be enough; you'd need to be able to point at something that went wrong.
tense

Post by tense »

I'm certainly not planning to appeal myself but am now wondering about the waiting lists (thanks for the info watmum).

I would quite like to take a long haul holiday next Easter but am anxious about not being here! Of course, my daughter may be so far down the lists it's a lost cause...

I promised myself I'd put all this out of my mind until at least late February - but no chance! :wink:
watmum

Post by watmum »

Am full of sympathy Tense, if it is any consolation, the months flew by for us when we were in your shoes, what with xmas, the new year, half term in Feb etc..believe me, it will suddenly be THE DAY before you know it ( and then the post man will be delayed, mine did not get to me till 1pm and all my friends had their letters by 9) very stressful wait, but of course it is all done on-line now, so you should know by midnight.

A load of shuffling goes on after the initial allocation too, and I think that, after the dust had settled, all of my friends were happy with their end school, even if they were not their original first choices!

Waffled a bit here I know, trying to be all supportive! LOL

Happy xmas to you all

Post by Guest »

I'm very worried too. I promised myself i would wait until March to worry but t keeps jumping on me when i don't expect it. Our three choices were all very difficult to get into and i wish now that i'd put a safe-bet as our third choice but wanted to keep to my daughters wishes.

If we don't get into any of the three, i presume we'll be sent to the nearest school that no body wants to go to. We think we might put her into private school if that is the case even though it will really stretch us. Will there still be any places at good private schools? I haven't applied for any. Does that mean i've missed out? Does anyone know which ones are good value for money for a clever child?
watmum

Post by watmum »

Guest, regarding my previous post. One of my closest friends put three "top" schools from the consortium, (where as we all put a third "banker" school in place, she regretted her decision)

Of course her daughter was not given any of her three choices and was given a place at the one school which she did not want to be given.

Fairytale ending of course, her daughter had the BEST time at the school she was given (my friend did not really have any grounds for appeal, so she had to go with the allocated school) It turned out to be a really supportive nurturing school where whe has just commenced her A level courses after achieivng 10 good GCSE passes, so, keep your chin up and options open even if you feel you are given what you definitely do not want!!

Does that make sense??