clement danes

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

el

Post by el »

thank you guest6 & moody,

I think from what you have said i should go with my gut instict and try for chs & ricky, and use 3rd choice for clement danes as i'm sure we would get in on distance. It seems so complicated, all we want is the best for our kids but there isnt really much choice is there?

Daughter is in top sets, but from what ive seen school are not really pushing the more able children. Do you know how I can tell if she has a chance at grammar. I think she's bright but then she's my baby and I think she's great at every thing!

el

Post by Guest »

My daughter was in the top half of the class in a Chorleywood state school and passed the bucks 11+ and is doing well at Chesham High. Remember though that Bucks 11+ is two papers of verbal reasoning m/c so worth making sure she is familiar with the sort of questions she will encounter. Her primary school gave us the familiarisation papers to work through at home but as it was a Herts school gave no more assistance. Found timing hard on the first paper but got a good enough score on the second paper to get through.
guest6

Post by guest6 »

If you're thinking of going for the 11+ it would be a good idea to read the Bucks section and glean as much as poss from Patricia's posts.
Anon

Post by Anon »

On balance you'd probably do best at Chesham High.

The ability profile is generally accepted as being a little lower than the Challoner's grammars but there are usually quite a few unfilled places in year 7 - about 20 or so in 2006 which in recent years has been fairly typical. You'd, therefore, stand a very good chance of a place on passing.

Having said that the school has just taken on a new Headmaster who is making lots of changes and it may, therefore, become more popular.
Also Challoner's boys is becoming evermore difficult to get into - even within catchment - and last year some unsuccessful applicants took up places at Chesham so you need to bear this in mind too.

Realistically, Chesham is the only grammar you would be likely to get a place in as OOC. I would put chances of Challoners Boy's as 0% and Challoners girls took under 5 from OOC last year - other years none.
el

Post by el »

thanx Anon

do you have a child at chesham? or other local school?

will try our luck with chesham next year.

el
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now