SW Herts Consortium Music Results

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

sullivan66

SW Herts Consortium Music Results

Post by sullivan66 »

Hello I am new to the forum, but feel that I need to phone a friend! My daughter scored 41 in music - we live very out of catchment. Our nearest school is Parmiters - is it worth a shot at all, judging from past data no? I understand that SCD also offer out of catchment, but I also have a son in the same school year, who did not sit the music test, Parmiters have said they would automatically offer my son a place if my daughter was offered, but SCD said he would not automatically get a place, I feel it would be risky to go to an appeal with SCD? Any offers of advice at this late stage would be greatly appreciated.
:?
1Watford

Re: SW Herts Consortium Music Results

Post by 1Watford »

Your son should also get a place at SCD if your daughter does.

From the 2017 admissions policy:

In the case of twins/multiple births from the same household if only one twin qualifies for admission, the school will allocate places to both children, conditional on both twins attending the school. If the qualifying twin withdraws, then the second place is forfeit. This principle will
apply to other multiple births such as triplets. Additional place(s) will be counted as sibling admissions.

If they are not twins I would think he should still be offered a place as sibling admission. I'm not sure why they have said he wouldn't get a place.
loopylala

Post by loopylala »

1Watford wrote:If they are not twins I would think he should still be offered a place as sibling admission. I'm not sure why they have said he wouldn't get a place.
Where the children are not twins, it is possible the sibling priority may only apply once the 1st child accepts a place or starts at the school in year 7. In this instance the school may be reluctant to say they will get a place as they may have to wait until the second round of allocations. It would then depend on where they are on the waiting list and if there are available places to be allocated. I could be wrong though, so worth asking the school again.

In the case of twins it certainly looks like both would get a place.

Just one point ot add. You have stated "we live very out of catchment", will your children be able to easily travel to both of these schools as they are some distance apart?
sullivan66

Post by sullivan66 »

Thank you very much for the quick responses. I think you are right in that my daughter would have to accept the place first for the sibling rule to apply - this is what makes it a risky choice, as my son could end up not getting a place, as he is not a twin. Also, yes, fully accept that a move would be necessary if offered. Any thoughts on Parmiters with a score of 41 being out of catchment?
loopylala

Post by loopylala »

sullivan66 wrote:Any thoughts on Parmiters with a score of 41 being out of catchment?
Out of catchment scores are given on the school website:

http://www.parmiters.herts.sch.uk/admis ... distances/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It could be worth calling the school and asking for the cut off score for out of catchment music places as of September.
1Watford

Post by 1Watford »

If your son did not get a sibling place on allocation day I would imagine you may have a strong case if you were to appeal. It may be worth asking some of the more experienced forum members in the appeals section for their thoughts.