Parmiter's 6th Form entry for external applicants

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Guest55

Re: Parmiter's 6th Form entry for external applicants

Post by Guest55 »

The GCSE grades are not that good considering the small numbers and in comparison to some of the other subjects who teach in larger groups.

If the new A level is harder then I would be concerned.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

I have sent you a pm, maxhead.
maxhead

Post by maxhead »

Guest55 wrote:The GCSE grades are not that good considering the small numbers and in comparison to some of the other subjects who teach in larger groups.

If the new A level is harder then I would be concerned.

We considered Queens but that only has 19% at A/A* !. This is better than his current school who scrapped ICT for Latin....
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

I think historical data of non-linear A levels may be a poor way to judge the strength of a department since all A levels will soon be linear.

w.r.t computer science/computing (not ICT/Computer Studies) I would suggest you meet the head of department and make sure he/she is a recent computer/informatics graduate with a passion for her subject and not some maths/physics teacher living on a pray and a wing.
maxhead

Post by maxhead »

Catseye wrote:I think historical data of non-linear A levels may be a poor way to judge the strength of a department since all A levels will soon be linear.

w.r.t computer science/computing (not ICT/Computer Studies) I would suggest you meet the head of department and make sure he/she is a recent computer/informatics graduate with a passion for her subject and not some maths/physics teacher living on a pray and a wing.

Good idea I will try and arrange that. I suspect its the former given the GCSE results for Computer Science at Parmiter's unless I am missing something :?:
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Catseye wrote:I think historical data of non-linear A levels may be a poor way to judge the strength of a department since all A levels will soon be linear.
Linear results are likely to be lower and the results don't match other departments now.

Otherwise I agree about finding out more.
maxhead

Post by maxhead »

Guest55 wrote:
Linear results are likely to be lower and the results don't match other departments now.

Otherwise I agree about finding out more.

Sorry I don't understand your comment re other departments could you advise
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Look at other A level results in similar subjects - sciences and maths - these are likely to be taken by the same students taking CS.

I think I'd want to know if this is a historic issue ...
maxhead

Post by maxhead »

Guest55 wrote:Look at other A level results in similar subjects - sciences and maths - these are likely to be taken by the same students taking CS.

I think I'd want to know if this is a historic issue ...

Appreciate your input Thankyou
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now