Music places at Watford Girls

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Middlesexmum

Music places at Watford Girls

Post by Middlesexmum »

Dd is sitting the consortium test this year. I hadn't really thought about entering her for the music test too but perhaps I should. She started learning piano a year or two ago and had a real flair for it. She made very fast progress and passed Grade 1 with Merit within a year. But unfortunately it went off the boil a bit for her and she's no longer having lessons.

Do they have to be a very high standard to get a music place? Or is it more about having potential and sense of performance? She's actually quite keen to learn an unusual instrument such as the double bass but I've told her that will have to wait until secondary school.

How many music places are there and how many apply? Is it differentiated between inner and outer catchments (we are outer)?
K1w1mum

Re: Music places at Watford Girls

Post by K1w1mum »

There are/ were 7 Outer catchment music places but they are taking in an extra 30 girls so it may go up to 9 ?
If your DD wants to have a go, she has nothing to lose. I know plenty of kids who had very little music experience who have music places, and plenty who were doing higher grades who didn't even get through the first round!
Oh please let her learn the double bass, two of my DDs do and they would welcome some company!
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

Thank you K1w1. Do you know if the first round is just aural tests? Dd did very well in aural in her piano exam but it was only Grade 1.

I am very happy for her to learn double bass but just not at the moment! Do your dds leave their instruments at school and practice there?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Both my dds got a high enough mark rank for a music place through SW Herts.

The first round is an aural test that requires no previous experience. I know of someone who got 56 out of 60 in the DAO aural test that did not play any musical instrument or sing.

The second round is an audition. You have five minutes and can play any instrument or sing. You have to use their accompanist if you want one, you cannot bring your own as you can at DAO.

The school themselves do not get a chance to meet your student, it is all done through the consortium and then you apply for a music place with your mark. I know of a student who got a music place at Parmiters only having played recorder in assembly but I think there are more applicants now so the bar has been raised.

You have nothing to lose and everything to gain by having a go. Good luck. DG
K1w1mum

Post by K1w1mum »

Yes, they have a bass at home to practice on and basses at school to learn/play on.
Sometimes we have to transport the bass for exams/ some concerts but it's not often.
The double bass translates well to the bass guitar as well.
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

K1w1mum wrote: The double bass translates well to the bass guitar as well.
Brilliant, maybe she can audition for School of Rock! :lol:

Thank you both K1w1 and DG, I will definitely enter her for music.
1Watford

Post by 1Watford »

I'm a music teacher and approximately half of my students have got a high enough mark on the first round aural test to gain an audition.
The children who do better in the test are almost always my Suzuki students who listen regularly to music in the home - although there are exceptions, one of my theory students had been playing Suzuki violin since she was 2 and missed out by one mark, she later gained a music scholarship to an independent school.

When I tutor students for the MAT I always tell parents to have classical music on in the home, car, ipod, etc. Not playing a musical instrument is not necessarily a disadvantage but listening to music and developing your ear can improve your child's performance on the test.

Double bass is an excellent choice of instrument - it's my 3rd instrument & I don't play now so much (if ever!) but it was great fun to play in both orchestra and jazz band when I was at school and university!