Music audition stage

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Cosmiclise

Music audition stage

Post by Cosmiclise »

Hi all,

I am under a new user name but I have been through the whole process previously with my son 5 years ago and now I have a daughter in year 5 who will take the exam in September. My son is at Queens so she should go in on sibling rule but we'd like to try for the Girls Grammar with dd. I don't feel that she is academically where she should be as we didn't hire a tutor and the few practice papers we've done are ok but not scoring high. I guess because she is guaranteed Queens we didn't stress much about it.

She is though very interested in music. She is taking grade 5 piano and grade 3 clarinet in June and she practises a lot and loves it. We've done a sample MAT and she scored 48 the first time so fingers crossed she could get to the audition stages.

Now the question: as she would play the piano, and knowing that it is a popular instrument therefore a lot of children will do the same, if your child got a place on music at Parmiters or the Grammar schools do you mind telling me what piece they played and roughly what level was it?

We'll probably keep one of her grade 5 pieces going but I am not sure if she should go for a classical piece or something more modern, jazz for example?

Thank you!
Daogroupie

Re: Music audition stage

Post by Daogroupie »

You might want to think about playing the Clarinet rather than the piano.

All of these schools need orchestral instruments for their orchestras.

Boths my dds got through to the audition and played orchestral instruments. The waiting room was awash with piano players and violinists but hardly any brass and wind.

The organiser allocating the slots told me that the examiners "were fighting" over my dd as it was something different to the hordes of pianos and violins.

They both got full marks.

I am sure you will get a high mark for your piano piece if you get through the Bentley test but you might get a mark or so more for an Orchestral instrument.

At our school piano players are always encouraged to take up an orchestral instrument.

Also if she plays the clarinet one of the examiners in the room will accompany her.

My dd's accompanists loved playing their pieces and said so. I think that might have helped towards the high mark.

If you do decide to go for Piano, I would recommend a Classical piece. DG
Cutting42

Re: Music audition stage

Post by Cutting42 »

Hi

My DD is leaving WGGS this year and is the current principle clarinet at the school and WSM youth orchestra. She played piano at grade 4/5 for the audition but did mention playing clarinet as a part of the chat. She got her place based on music entry. That said my son gained entry at WBGS on music playing piano at grade 2 and his other instrument is guitar. So neither being orchestral instruments did not seem to affect his chances.

Assuming your DD passes the Bentley test I would not sweat it, pick the instrument she is most confident with.