St Clement Danes School

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ToadMum

Re: St Clement Danes School

Post by ToadMum »

Happymums wrote:
Sally-Anne wrote:More context (although all this information is available on the school's website):

Y7 Admission number: 240
10% of places awarded on musical aptitude
10% of places awarded on academic ability, highest score downwards
The remaining places are allocated by distance, and last year that was 2,500 metres from the school and solely within the priority area of the WD3 postcode.
There were 1,000 applications for the school in 2017.

Very much an outside chance.
Thank you, we will be very happy if our son gets the school. We have to wait until 1st of March to know the results which is painful.
Silly question, but what is it about the school that you know will make you happy, if you haven't even visited? Or has your DS been to events there from his current school and so has been able to form an opinion as to whether he would like to spend the next five or seven years there?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
loopylala

Post by loopylala »

Happymums wrote:we were looking for Parmiters as well but I gathered they give priority for the catchment.
Have you looked into travel arrangements/relocating for all the schools you are considering? I wouldn't imagine that Parmiters would be an easy journey from where you are currently located.
hamscd

Post by hamscd »

Hi I was in the same position like you. My son started SCD without visiting it. That was 4 years ago, today he loves the school. He is sitting his GCSE this year and I could not have entrusted his education to a better school. We live in HA3 and transport has not been a problem as the met line goes to chorleywood. My daughter starts school next year (hopefully).
KS10

Post by KS10 »

loopylala wrote:
Happymums wrote:we were looking for Parmiters as well but I gathered they give priority for the catchment.
Have you looked into travel arrangements/relocating for all the schools you are considering? I wouldn't imagine that Parmiters would be an easy journey from where you are currently located.
Parmiter's is doable from Harrow-on-the-Hill if you're not too far away from the station.
Minustulip9

Post by Minustulip9 »

hamscd wrote:Hi I was in the same position like you. My son started SCD without visiting it. That was 4 years ago, today he loves the school. He is sitting his GCSE this year and I could not have entrusted his education to a better school. We live in HA3 and transport has not been a problem as the met line goes to chorleywood. My daughter starts school next year (hopefully).

I'm also thinking about applying to SCD under 10% academic seats, my only worry is transportation from Chorleywood station to school and there are only 2 buses in morning, if missed, then no other option other than walk, is there any shared cab from station or any other advice relating to travel to/ from school will be highly appreciated. I live in HA1 area and reaching Chorleywood station is not a problem.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Minustulip9 wrote:I'm also thinking about applying to SCD under 10% academic seats, my only worry is transportation from Chorleywood station to school and there are only 2 buses in morning, if missed, then no other option other than walk, is there any shared cab from station or any other advice relating to travel to/ from school will be highly appreciated. I live in HA1 area and reaching Chorleywood station is not a problem.
It's 1.2 miles, a 25 minute walk. Can your DC honestly not walk that far? As far as I can recall there is a pavement the whole way.

I and many of my peers walked 45 minutes to school from the station each day for 7 years, in all weathers, lugging a school bag, sports kit and often a musical instrument as well.

Yes, your DC might end up being late on the very rare occasions they had to walk, but if that is because of a tube failure, it isn't their fault.
hamscd

Post by hamscd »

My son walks up from the station and it doesn't seem to be that bad. It is approximately 15 minutes walk through the common. He will make friends and thus will walk with them.
Dotty2468

Post by Dotty2468 »

Lots of children walk in the morning from Chorleywood it really won’t be a problem.

There are also private school bus options that you could look into. Lanes coaches & peter Reynolds. I’m not sure which one covers your route but it may be an option.
minalpat78

Post by minalpat78 »

Sorry for the late reply. We are HA3 and my son is in year 8 now. He gets the met line and walks. The first term was a little difficult re the transport BUT once he had found a group of friends who he waits for at the station and they all walk together he hasn’t looked back.
We did have issues with him settling in again in the first term as he joined not knowing anyone, I emailed his form tutor who called me back the same day and reassured me .
The school is great and DS has settled in and enjoys school life.
Happymums

Post by Happymums »

Does anyone know in the last year what was the waiting list number get into admission for SCD?

Thanks
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now