11plus score Vs School offer

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Abbotsdad

11plus score Vs School offer

Post by Abbotsdad »

Hi all, I am new to the 11plus forum and a parent of a year 6 who has just had his 11plus results.

My question is really for any parent who has been through the 11plus in previous years. Where your child has meet the minimum score for academic or for music for a particular school, have they been offered a place at that school and was it their first choice?

The reason for asking, I want to know whether or not I should be worried about not getting our 1st choice even though my Ds got a very high mark in music but his academic was just on the line depending on which school we choose. Hope this is clear.
ToadMum

Re: 11plus score Vs School offer

Post by ToadMum »

Abbotsdad wrote:Hi all, I am new to the 11plus forum and a parent of a year 6 who has just had his 11plus results.

My question is really for any parent who has been through the 11plus in previous years. Where your child has meet the minimum score for academic or for music for a particular school, have they been offered a place at that school and was it their first choice?

The reason for asking, I want to know whether or not I should be worried about not getting our 1st choice even though my Ds got a very high mark in music but his academic was just on the line depending on which school we choose. Hope this is clear.
If this is a comprehensive school offering a certain number of places on musical ability and a certain number on academic ability as two of its oversubscription categories, then a low score in the one will not stop a high score in the other qualifying an applicant for a place. It's like, you might not be a sibling, but you might live close enough for a distance place.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Academic and music places come under different criteria so one has no impact on the other.

If you tell us which school you are applying for it will be easier for us to help you.

Nobody will have any way of knowing who you are as there will be hundreds applying for the school. DG
Abbotsdad

Post by Abbotsdad »

Hi, thank you for your replies.

The school we have in mind is Parmiters. We do live in priority postcode area. I like to know if anyone's child hit the mark whether it's academic or music and put down as their 1St choice did they get offered or got offered another school?

We will be putting Parmiters as 1St choice then Scd as 2nd.

Thanks
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Is your music score higher than the last score to get into priority postcode last year? DG
Abbotsdad

Post by Abbotsdad »

Hi, yes he scored into the 40's so was thinking although it beats the score for last few years is there any other deciding factor for my Ds not to get his 1St choice. Just wanted to know if any past 11plus parents had come across this in previous years.

Thanks
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

If more student with higher scores in Music put Parmiters first then the music places will be allocated according to the highest score.

If two students in priority postcode have the same score and there is one space left then the place will be allocated on distance from the school. DG
Abbotsdad

Post by Abbotsdad »

OK thanks.

I understand that, my question is if anyone had achieved the mark and not get offered a space for one reason or another.
Hera

Post by Hera »

Like what? It is a strange question. Falsifying an address?
Abbotsdad

Post by Abbotsdad »

Hi, I dont think it's a strange question. Maybe I haven't explained it properly. OK I'll try one last time and hope someone understands.

OK, last year Parmiters music pass mark is 38. A pupil gets a mark say of 42, for argument sake they live in the inner catchment area. Did they 100% get a place for their 1St choice? Is it that simple? Is there any pupil out there who didn't get their 1St choice although they achieved the pass mark?

Sorry if I haven't explained properly. Thought it be a simple question.

Thanks
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now