11plus score Vs School offer

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Hera

Re: 11plus score Vs School offer

Post by Hera »

Yes they would get a place if they fulfilled the admissions criteria which would mean that they live in catchment or got a high enough score for the outer catchment music place, and they were not found to have given any false information on their form. If you read the admissions criteria you can answer your own question. Marks that are published are the lowest marks required to gain a place in that given year. They are not pass marks so the score required to gain a place can change year on year.
Helenp01

Post by Helenp01 »

Yes of course! If you meet the criteria you will be offered the place. There is no duplicity as everything is offered in strict score order. I can’t really see what you are worrying about. If others score higher in the same criterion they will get the place. If you put Parmiters as 1st choice and you have a high enough score you will be allocated that school. Sorry you are confusing me with your concerns - I think admissions criteria is very clear on the Parmiters website.
neo1232

Post by neo1232 »

Let me also try !!

Let's say one students got 42 then there is no way student with mark 41 can get admission by bypassing student with mark 42. It is not possible.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Abbotsdad wrote:Hi, I dont think it's a strange question. Maybe I haven't explained it properly. OK I'll try one last time and hope someone understands.

OK, last year Parmiters music pass mark is 38. A pupil gets a mark say of 42, for argument sake they live in the inner catchment area. Did they 100% get a place for their 1St choice? Is it that simple? Is there any pupil out there who didn't get their 1St choice although they achieved the pass mark?

Sorry if I haven't explained properly. Thought it be a simple question.

Thanks
The places in any category will be allocated according to the oversubscription criteria for that category. So, if the category is, for example (I'm making this one up):

- 'up to 20 children who have scored at least 25 in the Dance Assessment, highest scores first. Where two applicants share the same score, the candidates will be ranked according to distance from the school, nearest first'

If your child got 27, but nineteen applicants got a higher score, there are six on 27 and your DC does not live closest of them to the school, then even though your DC got more than the 'pass' score, they won't be offered a place under that category. If that was the only category under which they might have qualified, other than 'any other applicants' - and all places have been allocated before that one is reached - they will not be offered a place at all.

So, getting at least a certain score may be a requirement for being eligible, but not necessarily sufficient for actually getting a place.

Not sure whether that helps or adds more to your confusion? The former was intended.

I think the 38 may be the score of the last applicant to be offered a place last year, though, not an actual pass mark?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
1Watford

Post by 1Watford »

neo1232 wrote:Let me also try !!

Let's say one students got 42 then there is no way student with mark 41 can get admission by bypassing student with mark 42. It is not possible.
Yes, but not in the way you think.

You will not know which of the criteria your child gains entry under (unless you only apply under 1 criterion).

The only way this will happen is if the lowest mark for music places is 43 but a child with 41 gets a place under a different criterion (ie is a sibling or gains a distance place or scores high enough to gain an academic place).

The school will not tell you *how* you gained a place, nor where on the list you were. There is nothing fishy going on. Occasionally mistakes are made (my DD2 was denied a sibling place last year!) but generally quickly rectified and do not need to go the appeal stage.

Please don't worry.
Dotty2468

Post by Dotty2468 »

The OP is going through the 11 plus for the first time and is simply asking how the system works. I remember having similar worries. He just wants to know if anyone with a very high music score (let’s say 43-45) didn’t get their first choice (let’s say parmiters/WG/Scd) when applying for a music place.. Simple question.