CAF ranking advice

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
JMAR

CAF ranking advice

Post by JMAR »

I just want to run this by some other parents as I want to be 100% so any advice would be welcome.
My child attained a score of 206 in the consortium results and a 41 out of 45 in the music 2nd test. For DAO he got 227 and is ranked 217. As I understand it, on the music they should secure a place at Parmiters our second choice and WG (Our third). It appears that at DAO they are unlikely to get a place. However even if the chance is slim as we understand it we should still put DAO first and Parmiters second. We would do this on the understanding that despite putting DAO first, this would not affect us securing a place in Parmiters under the music score criteria, (of which 38 has been the lowest score to secure entry over the years) all things being well. I would not want to lose my chance with Parmiters given the limited place in music already.... help please :)
streathammum

Re: CAF RANKING advice

Post by streathammum »

Putting the scores to one side, what is your actual order of preference?

If DAO is your first choice, put it first on the form. It will not affect your ranking for the other schools you name and if you don't get DAO on offer day you may be offered one of your lower preferences (Parmiters perhaps). You will be able to stay on the waiting list for DAO and may get a place there eventually.

If you Parmiters above DAO on your CAF, and you are offered Parmiters on offer day, you will not be offered DAO, even if you would, in fact, have qualified for a place there with the score you have.

You need to put the schools in your genuine order of preference. You don't need to think about likelihood of getting a place unless you're running out of spaces on the CAF.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

If you have space then put DAO first, it will not impact your chances at Parmiters.

However DAO ranks have never gone beyond 158 so they are unlikely to hit 217 this year.

DG
JMAR

Post by JMAR »

Thanks Daogroupie for your reply.
Yes it would seem that way but does the 158 you refer to the initial invitations or to the lowest entry after all the shuffling around right upto March? I thought Dame Alice owen had released some figures a while ago due to a parent pushing them to release some figures that showed that kids with lower scores had managed to get in on the final cut.
JMAR

Post by JMAR »

streathammum wrote:Putting the scores to one side, what is your actual order of preference?
Thank you streathammum for your input. DAO is the preferred choice.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

The last rank to get in on March 1st 2017 was 129. The last rank to get in late July was 158 and it has not moved since.

It is all done by rank not score. These are the two ranks from 2017.

If it is your first choice put it down if you have room.

I would love to see it go that far as students very dear to me would then be offered a space but I can't see it going 59 ranks further than this year.

Perhaps you are thinking of the data that the lowest rank to have their papers marked this year was 318. This year it has gone further. I know of a 332. DG
dsme

Re: CAF ranking advice

Post by dsme »

Need some advise please for CAF
We live in Watford, DD Qualified with 241 in SW Herts ,We moved in watford around 1.5 years back. Our first preference would have been WGGS however we own another house in another area less than 20 miles away so I think we can not put WGGS as option?

DD is in Band B of HBS so we are still thinking to put it First choice though there are very very slim chance here.

We are thinking about putting DCGH (in Bucks) 2nd as it is around 7.5 miles in straight line from our house and looking at the last two years I think there may be a chance here.

Our Third choice is Beaconsfield High School ( around 10.5 Miles from our place) another Slim chnace here.
4th Choice will either be Colchester Grammar School or a Local Comp.
We will move if needed :-(

Any suggestions please on the above?
Thanks
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

dsme wrote:Need some advise please for CAF
We live in Watford, DD Qualified with 241 in SW Herts ,We moved in watford around 1.5 years back. Our first preference would have been WGGS however we own another house in another area less than 20 miles away so I think we can not put WGGS as option?

DD is in Band B of HBS so we are still thinking to put it First choice though there are very very slim chance here.

We are thinking about putting DCGH (in Bucks) 2nd as it is around 7.5 miles in straight line from our house and looking at the last two years I think there may be a chance here.

Our Third choice is Beaconsfield High School ( around 10.5 Miles from our place) another Slim chnace here.
4th Choice will either be Colchester Grammar School or a Local Comp.
We will move if needed :-(

Any suggestions please on the above?
Thanks
What did your DD get in the CSSE exam? If it was decent score, one which would as near as certainly secure a place, you could just make the decision to put ColCHS first on your CAF and plan your move to Colchester?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
dsme

Post by dsme »

Thanks ToadMum,
DD got 356.6 for Colchester so she is in Green zone there as far as I understand. The Bucks schools are closer to our place (well not very near) as they are reasonably commutable from Watford. She got 309.6 for NonSuch/Wallington but again we are OOC and do not think she will get there.
Will putting Colchester at 4th on CAF harm any chances for her, if she does not get any of the top three choices ?

Thanks for all your invaluable responses and Best Regards
neo1232

Post by neo1232 »

I feel that 1.5 years is big time to prove that you do not have attachment with your old house.
I would suggest you to put WGGS at first choice if you really like that school and go to appeal route in case they create any issue ..

of course you can put all other your choice as 2-4 in case appeals/admission do not materialise and at least you have good backup.

dsme wrote:Need some advise please for CAF
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now