St Clement Danes School

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Happymums

St Clement Danes School

Post by Happymums »

Hi
We are interested to apply for SCDS for our son but we do not live in Watford. but we haven't visited the school yet. Could anyone tell me how is the school and do they take children from HA2 postcode?
Thanks
Cutting42

Re: St Clement Danes School

Post by Cutting42 »

Happymums wrote:Hi
We are interested to apply for SCDS for our son but we do not live in Watford. but we haven't visited the school yet. Could anyone tell me how is the school and do they take children from HA2 postcode?
Thanks
They are an excellent school and enjoy good results. You are also fortunate that they have a number of places available to DC outside their usual catchment area. My DC did not go there but I have several friends whose DC have attended in fact my niece has just started their sixth form changing from STAGS and is really enjoying it.
loopylala

Post by loopylala »

Thanks
"Up to 10% of places will be for students demonstrating academic ability. This will be determined by test during the autumn term and places will be awarded in merit order. For further details please read Section 4 of the Secondary Transfer Admissions Policy."

http://www.stclementdanes.org.uk/942/se ... nsfer-2018" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i.e. there is no catchment for the 10% academic places which are offered by score, top down.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

More context (although all this information is available on the school's website):

Y7 Admission number: 240
10% of places awarded on musical aptitude
10% of places awarded on academic ability, highest score downwards
The remaining places are allocated by distance, and last year that was 2,500 metres from the school and solely within the priority area of the WD3 postcode.
There were 1,000 applications for the school in 2017.

Very much an outside chance.
Dotty2468

Post by Dotty2468 »

We chose SCD over parmiters (this was our closest school) for our child and we are so happy we did. Wonderful School, excellent results, amazing facilities especially with the new huge amount of money invested there, it also helps that It’s in a lovely area so they can walk to Chorleywood occasionally with friends after school for an hour or so. I am so thankful we gained a place there and my child is thriving.
Happymums

Post by Happymums »

Cutting42 wrote:
Thanks
They are an excellent school and enjoy good results. You are also fortunate that they have a number of places available to DC outside their usual catchment area. My DC did not go there but I have several friends whose DC have attended in fact my niece has just started their sixth form changing from STAGS and is really enjoying it.
Hi
Thank you very much, this is really helpful information.
Happymums

Post by Happymums »

loopylala wrote:
Thanks
"Up to 10% of places will be for students demonstrating academic ability. This will be determined by test during the autumn term and places will be awarded in merit order. For further details please read Section 4 of the Secondary Transfer Admissions Policy."

http://www.stclementdanes.org.uk/942/se ... nsfer-2018" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i.e. there is no catchment for the 10% academic places which are offered by score, top down.
Hi
Thank you very much, hope my son will come into the 10% of academic ability. If the place is not available in the first allocation do they keep in their waiting list? If he goes in waiting list do we need to deal with the local authority or school?

Thanks
Happymums

Post by Happymums »

Sally-Anne wrote:More context (although all this information is available on the school's website):

Y7 Admission number: 240
10% of places awarded on musical aptitude
10% of places awarded on academic ability, highest score downwards
The remaining places are allocated by distance, and last year that was 2,500 metres from the school and solely within the priority area of the WD3 postcode.
There were 1,000 applications for the school in 2017.

Very much an outside chance.
Thank you, we will be very happy if our son gets the school. We have to wait until 1st of March to know the results which is painful.
svg123

Post by svg123 »

Thanks
Did your son write the South West Herts Schools Consortium academic test? If yes, and if you think he has scored well then I would say go for a place from 10% academic seat. Otherwise, chances on distance basis is from slim to negligible.
You need to submit a separate SIF for this school before 31st Oct.
All the best
Happymums

Post by Happymums »

Dotty2468 wrote:We chose SCD over parmiters (this was our closest school) for our child and we are so happy we did. Wonderful School, excellent results, amazing facilities especially with the new huge amount of money invested there, it also helps that It’s in a lovely area so they can walk to Chorleywood occasionally with friends after school for an hour or so. I am so thankful we gained a place there and my child is thriving.
Thank you very much, we were looking for Parmiters as well but I gathered they give priority for the catchment.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now