Go to navigation
It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:30 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:09 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:38 pm
Posts: 19
We would like to check where a score of 269 would appear on the overall cohort of everyone who appeated for the exam for 2018 entry


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:16 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:23 pm
Posts: 74
MontyUd wrote:
We would like to check where a score of 269 would appear on the overall cohort of everyone who appeated for the exam for 2018 entry


It would be impossible to know without access to the full data, which is never published. Don't forget that the score your child received is standardised using a normal distribution. I think that the top possible score in SW Herts is 282, so 269 would be in the top 1-2% of the cohort.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:39 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:01 pm
Posts: 8373
Location: Herts
If you want to know because your dc got 269 and you want to know where they came then the answer is they did well but not amazingly.

I know of plenty of students with a higher score.

What they managed on one day in September does not last. What is important is that they work hard and do well when they get there.

This is the reason why some schools like HBS and Latymer do not release scores because they do not feel that parents and students should be focused on it as it is not the most important thing.

I have seen students not do so well at secondary school because they have been over praised for their score and have a flawed impression of their own academic status.

I have a student from a local prep school who keeps saying " I am so clever" even though her marks are less than half of the others in the year group and even lower than those in the year below. Clearly someone has told her this and she continues to believe it even though it does not translate to any result. She does not listen to what she is being taught or to the other students.

Your student has done well but don't focus on it. DG


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:41 am
Posts: 7760
Location: Essex
Being in approximately the top 2% is actually pretty good...

_________________
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:23 am
Posts: 514
Daogroupie wrote:
If you want to know because your dc got 269 and you want to know where they came then the answer is they did well but not amazingly.

I'd say that being in the top 50 out of 2000+
IS AMAZING.

But agree that it doesn't mean much once they start year 7.

OP, anyone with that score in SW Herts has got their choice of school. Why do you need to know exact standing?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:38 pm
Posts: 19
Thanks to those, who chose to directly reply to the question, instead of beating around the bush and preaching ... You are the rays of sanity on these forums...

I am amazed someone thinks (or assumes!) that other parents do not have the basic common sense to know that a score on the day of an exam is of no value, once the child starts their new school :D

The question was straightforward ... if someone does not have the answer, do they think there is any harm in in leaving the post alone :) , instead of trolling? There are some on the forums here who incessantly preach and become judgemental about other parents ....
I will ignore such trolls, just as I have ignored in the past and many other continue to do ... However, some posters realluy need to count to 10 and "move on" instead of trolling every post - That puts off many parents...

Now I am just bracing myself for "supporters" who will zone-in out of the woodwork to say "xyz has been an amazing support on this forum ... only giving a perspective .... freedom of expression etc" .... I am sure they will extend the same courtesy and understanding to this "honest" reply from me, after being a silent observer of the trolls over many months :)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:45 pm
Posts: 5738
MontyUd wrote:
Thanks to those, who chose to directly reply to the question, instead of beating around the bush and preaching ... You are the rays of sanity on these forums...

I am amazed someone thinks (or assumes!) that other parents do not have the basic common sense to know that a score on the day of an exam is of no value, once the child starts their new school :D

The question was straightforward ... if someone does not have the answer, do they think there is any harm in in leaving the post alone :) , instead of trolling? There are some on the forums here who incessantly preach and become judgemental about other parents ....
I will ignore such trolls, just as I have ignored in the past and many other continue to do ... However, some posters realluy need to count to 10 and "move on" instead of trolling every post - That puts off many parents...

Now I am just bracing myself for "supporters" who will zone-in out of the woodwork to say "xyz has been an amazing support on this forum ... only giving a perspective .... freedom of expression etc" .... I am sure they will extend the same courtesy and understanding to this "honest" reply from me, after being a silent observer of the trolls over many months :)

I think calling someone a troll because they have a different opinion to you is a little unkind. By posting on the internet you open yourself to other people's opinions and perspective whether you want them or not! Yes, some people (including me at times) sometimes have a "robust" response to posts here, often because they are things that come up every year. Perhaps we should ALL take time to think about how our posts appear to strangers.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:38 pm
Posts: 19
The reply to my own robust reply does not surprise me at all :) ... Just as someone has the right to call a post as strange, I reserve my right to deem the
so-called robust replies as trolling or patronising :) ...

And I am sure just as you are "educating" me about what putting out a message online entails, I am sure you yourself are open to all kinds of "robust" replies, including mine :)

PS: My original reply was not borne out of just 1 observation, but multiple observations over many months - There are some people on these forums who in my humble opinion (an opinion one that many others share but keep quiet about) are just plain patronising / preachy / judgemental, whereas they themselves think they are doing plainspeaking / being robust / being helpful/caring about the other person / their child


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:41 am
Posts: 7760
Location: Essex
You know where your DS's score puts him in terms of the normal distribution of standardised scores (in about the top 2%). So all you need to know, to know circa how many candidates achieved a better / lesser score is to find out the total number of candidates - which may be simply ascertained through a phone call to the Consortium office, or at worst by means of a Freedom of Information request, which costs nothing to submit via the whatdotheyknow website. If you are lucky, the Consortium (directly or via FOI request) will also provide you with the complete list of scores, which other examinations authorities have been willing to do.

_________________
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:38 pm
Posts: 19
Thanks ToadMum for a robust, plain and most importantly, a very useful reply :) ... i will explore these options!

FYI, I am helping parents through their 11+ journey on some other forums. So knowing those statistics would just give some food for thought to the parents whose DC would appear for the exam next year... e.g. I have seen some nice bell-curve distribution that Bucks release ...
I think I would not have had to "explain" this in the first place, if someone who replied very early to my original question did not start making assumptions and going on a tangent about "scores don't matter" .....


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
CALL 020 8204 5060
   
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2018