11 Plus Exams Forum
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/11plus/

Can I turn down a school offered in continuing interest?
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/11plus/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=54675
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Rab20 [ Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:30 am ]
Post subject:  Can I turn down a school offered in continuing interest?

We are currently waiting on the continuing interest lists of our four chosen schools. Slightly unusually a normally sought after school in a nearby town has places open for year 7 starting in Sep. I had already decided to drop our fourth school from our application and am now tempted to replace it with this other school right now BUT we haven’t even viewed it (never occurred to me) and would want to before accepting a place if there is indeed a place available.

So if I apply for it today and then get offered a spot is there time for us to view the school before we have accept or reject it? Will we still have our current allocated school place whilst we decide?

Thanks x

Author:  ToadMum [ Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:48 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Can I turn down a school offered in continuing interest?

Rab20 wrote:
We are currently waiting on the continuing interest lists of our four chosen schools. Slightly unusually a normally sought after school in a nearby town has places open for year 7 starting in Sep. I had already decided to drop our fourth school from our application and am now tempted to replace it with this other school right now BUT we haven’t even viewed it (never occurred to me) and would want to before accepting a place if there is indeed a place available.

So if I apply for it today and then get offered a spot is there time for us to view the school before we have accept or reject it? Will we still have our current allocated school place whilst we decide?

Thanks x


You really need to check with your local authority re their policy on taking away the place you hold as soon as one comes up at a higher preference school. Most don't do it without confirmation of your acceptance, others assume that you must want a school more if you ranked it higher than your allocated school and just 'de-enrol' your DC from the original allocations

Presumably, the place your DD has currently was 'NUS' (nearest undersubscribed school)?

Why not ring the school in the morning and ask for a tour in the next day or two if possible? Although they might not be very keen, with public exams going on.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/