Out of catchment area

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Hera

Re: Out of catchment area

Post by Hera »

Acc to this link , it is in October..These tours are only available to children who are currently in Year 6 and who live in the WBGS admission area. That's what I mentioned.
That is correct and what I just said. The main open day was last Saturday.
Feniya

Post by Feniya »

Thank you everyone who spend your valuable time in clearing my doubts. Iam leaving this topic here now.
Droftaw

Post by Droftaw »

Warning: philosophical (or sociological) discussion point.

From following the above conversation, it struck me that the children of parents who do not have the inclination or ability to read and understand the detailed admission rules are at a disadvantage. (For the avoidance of doubt, I am not accusing anyone on this website of that).

Are those admission rules really accessible and understandable to all?

I used to believe in selection by ability, but I’m less and less sure that this is achievable.

So for the ‘best’, over-subscribed schools, the inclination and ability to tutor or self-tutor, the financial ability to move into the catchment area (selection by mortgage as I call it), added to the ability to access and understand detailed rules, really means that we are not living in anything close to a meritocracy.

I understand why people ‘play the game’ (I do it too, indeed it is probably what unites us on this website), but a sizeable proportion of the population don’t understand the rules, and therefore are less likely to ‘win’. To the rest of you, this might be blindingly obvious, but I’m losing my faith in selection by ability.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Droftaw wrote:Warning: philosophical (or sociological) discussion point.

From following the above conversation, it struck me that the children of parents who do not have the inclination or ability to read and understand the detailed admission rules are at a disadvantage. (For the avoidance of doubt, I am not accusing anyone on this website of that).

Are those admission rules really accessible and understandable to all?

I used to believe in selection by ability, but I’m less and less sure that this is achievable.

So for the ‘best’, over-subscribed schools, the inclination and ability to tutor or self-tutor, the financial ability to move into the catchment area (selection by mortgage as I call it), added to the ability to access and understand detailed rules, really means that we are not living in anything close to a meritocracy.

I understand why people ‘play the game’ (I do it too, indeed it is probably what unites us on this website), but a sizeable proportion of the population don’t understand the rules, and therefore are less likely to ‘win’. To the rest of you, this might be blindingly obvious, but I’m losing my faith in selection by ability.
I lost it altogether a few years ago. It's selection by wealth and social capital for all but a very few children, no matter how the grammar schools try to dress it up with talk of social mobility.
Sunnyrosegarden

Post by Sunnyrosegarden »

Absolutely agree. I am certain that my dcs are at the schools of their choice, largely because I worked out how to play the game, and knew the rules inside out.

Working out which schools were possible, making sure we were close enough for one to have a fairly certain backup, then prepping for the tests without pressure. I saw so many friends have an absolute nightmare, leaving it late to read the admission rules.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

From the 2019 admission procedures document on the Latymer website:

Oversubscription Criteria
The School will be oversubscribed when there are more CAF applications than places available. Historically the
number of applications far outweighs availability.
If the school is oversubscribed, priority for admission will be given to those applicants who reside in the Inner Area and who are ranked within the Top 650 candidates in the following order:
1. Pupils with an Education Health & Care Plan where the school is named in the Education Health & Care Plan.
Candidates with an EHCP should liaise with their home Local Authority regarding admissions.
2. Looked After Children: any child who is, or has previously been, looked after under the provision of The
Children’s Act 1989.
3. Up to 20 applicants in rank order on the basis of Pupil Premium who can provide written confirmation, directly from their primary school that they are currently in receipt of free school meals. In the event of a Pupil Premium applicant withdrawing from the process, the next highest ranked child under this criterion will be considered for the place. Applicants under this criterion must reside within the Inner Area and be ranked within the Top 650 candidates following the outcome of the Mathematics, Verbal Reasoning and English tests.
4. Up to 20 applicants in rank order who show exceptional musical talent. This can be demonstrated on any instrument/s (including voice) based on assessment with a recognised board such as ABRSM and Trinity. Applicants should usually have achieved at least Grade 5 distinction level, but this will depend on the instrument as well as previous opportunity and experience. Some applicants may not have reached Grade 5 distinction as a result of their
starting point but this should not prohibit applicants from applying under the music criterion. Confirmation of this level may be tested by an audition. In the event of a Music candidate withdrawing from the process, the next highest ranked child under this criterion will be considered for the place.
5. Applicants resident in the Inner Area in rank order.
6. Applicants resident outside the Inner Area will be considered in rank order.

Supporting evidence in relation to our oversubscription criteria (numbers 1-4) should be provided by the deadline for the return of the SIF.
In the event of a ‘tie’ situation for the last available place, due to applicants achieving the identical aggregate age-standardised test score within a category, preference will first be given to students who are on pupil premium but haven't been offered a place under this category, then to students who show exceptional musical talent but haven't been offered a place under this category and then those who live closest to the school by straight line measurement from the school to the permanent residence address.
Inner Area
Priority is given to those applicants who are resident in the Inner Area as of 11 January 2019 as described in the Oversubscription Criteria above.
The Inner Area means applicants whose Main Address is in the following postcode areas; E2, E4, E5, E8, E9, E17, EN1, EN2, EN3, EN4, EN5 (Sectors 1, 2, 4, 5 only), EN8 (Sectors 7, 8, 9 only), N1 (not N1C), N2, N3, N4, N5, N6, N7, N8, N9, N10, N11, N12, N13, N14, N15, N16, N17, N18, N19, N20, N21, N22. There is no preference within this list.
Main Address means the place at which the applicant spends the week day nights in the ordinary course of events
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
copella

Post by copella »

Feniya wrote: Because in primary, they don't have any pressure on homeworks and suddenly in secondary , they get lots of homework and projects which can be a sudden shock for some kids.So gradually introducing a routine towards studies will always help them to concentrate better in higher class.
Well I wouldn't apply to Latymer then as y 7-8 they get very little homework. No shock in store for them there and no need to prepare 3 yrs in advance for y7 homework.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now