Out of catchment area

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Feniya

Re: Out of catchment area

Post by Feniya »

Hera wrote:Feniya as you are unable or unwilling to look up the information yourself I have helpfully posted an extract from the Latymer admission policy just to make a point :lol:
Inner Area
Priority is given to those applicants who are resident in the Inner Area as of 11 January 2019 as described in the
Oversubscription Criteria above.
The Inner Area means applicants whose Main Address is in the following postcode areas; E2, E4, E5, E8, E9, E17,
EN1, EN2, EN3, EN4, EN5 (Sectors 1, 2, 4, 5 only), EN8 (Sectors 7, 8, 9 only), N1 (not N1C), N2, N3, N4, N5, N6, N7,
N8, N9, N10, N11, N12, N13, N14, N15, N16, N17, N18, N19, N20, N21, N22. There is no preference within this list.
Main Address means the place at which the applicant spends the week day nights in the ordinary course of event
Thanks Hera , I saw this information ..and appreciate you effort too. But it doesn't say, whether we have to be in that area before writing exam/before submission of CAF form/before/after national offer? That's what iam actually looking for.
Last edited by Feniya on Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feniya

Post by Feniya »

loobylou wrote:What everyone is telling you is correct. Unless you move into the priority area for Latymer by January there is zero chance of your child getting a place there. They have a very long waiting list within the priority area.
I know someone with highly intelligent children who attend the Nobel School in Stevenage and they are delighted with the support and degree of encouragement their children get in order to achieve highly.
I know nobel school is good.. but that doesn't mean my kid cant try eleven pus exam.Let him try , if he gets it's good for him. I believe the preparation for it will help him to prepare for secondary curriculum. He is only in Y4..
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Feniya wrote:I believe the preparation for it will help him to prepare for secondary curriculum. He is only in Y4..
That's an interesting opinion. Why do you say that?
Hera

Post by Hera »

Thanks Hera , I saw this information ..and appreciate you effort too. But it doesn't say, whether we have to be in that area before writing exam/before submission of CAF form/before/after national offer? That's what iam actually looking for.
It does. The date it gives you in January is the date you have to be living in the area for your application to be considered at that address, so no to point one and 2 and yes to 3. If you can read the full admissions policy/how to apply for the exam it clarifies things further for out of catchment entrants taking the exam.
Sunnyrosegarden

Post by Sunnyrosegarden »

I replied to your post on the first page. Just to confirm, I am a parent who has had experience of applying to the SW Herts Consortium schools, and I have children in two such schools.

Although it is one exam (well, two papers), each school has very different admission rules. St Clement Danes is the only realistic option if you live outside the admission areas, as it doesn't have any form of catchment area, but there are very limited places available under that criteria.

The Consortium test itself is not really any preparation for secondary school, as is is nothing like any other type of exam the children sit again. In fact, once they have a school place, the consortium test is never mentioned again - not used for setting, targets etc.

If you are keen on the SW Herts schools, and you are planning to move house, you have time to pick your school, and try and move close enough for a distance place? Give yourself more options?

Before applying, I'd have a look round the schools first. Think St CD's open day is this Saturday.
Feniya

Post by Feniya »

anotherdad wrote:
Feniya wrote:I believe the preparation for it will help him to prepare for secondary curriculum. He is only in Y4..
That's an interesting opinion. Why do you say that?
Because in primary, they don't have any pressure on homeworks and suddenly in secondary , they get lots of homework and projects which can be a sudden shock for some kids.So gradually introducing a routine towards studies will always help them to concentrate better in higher class.
Feniya

Post by Feniya »

Sunnyrosegarden wrote:I replied to your post on the first page. Just to confirm, I am a parent who has had experience of applying to the SW Herts Consortium schools, and I have children in two such schools.

Although it is one exam (well, two papers), each school has very different admission rules. St Clement Danes is the only realistic option if you live outside the admission areas, as it doesn't have any form of catchment area, but there are very limited places available under that criteria.

The Consortium test itself is not really any preparation for secondary school, as is is nothing like any other type of exam the children sit again. In fact, once they have a school place, the consortium test is never mentioned again - not used for setting, targets etc.

If you are keen on the SW Herts schools, and you are planning to move house, you have time to pick your school, and try and move close enough for a distance place? Give yourself more options?

Before applying, I'd have a look round the schools first. Think St CD's open day is this Saturday.
Thanks for your output. Yes, we are planning to look around schools ,lot of them happening this week.so hopefully we will get better idea. Watford grammar school open evening only for y6 kids which is not helpful. Planning to cover rest.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Watford Grammar only has catchment area places like DAO so unless you are planning to move before the exam this is not an option.

Hopefully you are able to go to the Clement Danes open day as this is your best option among the SW Herts schools. DG
Hera

Post by Hera »

Watford grammar school open evening only for y6 kids which is not helpful. Planning to cover rest.
I assume that you mean Watford Grammar for Boys as you mentioned a DS in your first post. The open day is not only for year 6 children. It was last Saturday so for this year you have missed it. Maybe you are thinking of the daytime tours that the school offers which are understandably only available to year 6 children living in the catchment area.
Feniya

Post by Feniya »

Hera wrote:
Watford grammar school open evening only for y6 kids which is not helpful. Planning to cover rest.
I assume that you mean Watford Grammar for Boys as you mentioned a DS in your first post. The open day is not only for year 6 children. It was last Saturday so for this year you have missed it. Maybe you are thinking of the daytime tours that the school offers which are understandably only available to year 6 children living in the catchment area.
https://www.watfordboys.org/Year-7.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ..Acc to this link , it is in October..These tours are only available to children who are currently in Year 6 and who live in the WBGS admission area. That's what I mentioned.