Waiting lists for Watford consortium

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Christie

Post by Christie »

I have just read through all the posts on here.
Most are at least a year old so I'd be interested to know how may of you were finally successful in gaining a place at your 1st choice of school.

I am unbelievably stressed about all this.

We are waiting to hear which school our youngest daughter has been allocated - e-mail due on March 2nd.
My older two children both went to Parmiters and our youngest has grown up going in and out of the school. Unfortunately they have both left so she doesn't qualify as a sibling and had to sit the entrance test.

I don't know if we have any grounds to appeal if she doesn't get into Parmiter's. Our second choice school is a good school but means a much longer journey each day.
I have a lot of reservations about 3rd choice - not that it is a bad school but that it's not the right school for her. We more or less had to put it down as if we had put a 3rd choice that we're unlikely to qualify for we could get FC.

Anybody got a positive story about getting in from the Continued interest List?
WP

Post by WP »

Christie wrote:I don't know if we have any grounds to appeal if she doesn't get into Parmiter's. Our second choice school is a good school but means a much longer journey each day.
I have a lot of reservations about 3rd choice - not that it is a bad school but that it's not the right school for her. We more or less had to put it down as if we had put a 3rd choice that we're unlikely to qualify for we could get FC.

Anybody got a positive story about getting in from the Continued interest List?
There is usually a fair bit of movement on the CI lists (though I wonder if there might be slightly less this year if fewer people take up independent places). On the other hand very few appeals for these schools are successful. It seems you need either compelling medical grounds or maladministration by the school (which is now very rare, and Parmiter's seem particularly efficient). Appealing is stressful, but it doesn't harm your chances on the CI lists.

Good luck!
watmum

Post by watmum »

WP wrote: It seems you need either compelling medical grounds or maladministration by the school (which is now very rare, and Parmiter's seem particularly efficient). Appealing is stressful, but it doesn't harm your chances on the CI lists.

Good luck!
Indeed, I only know of one successful appeal to Parmiters, and it was at least 6 or more years ago, it was maladministration, something to do with the rules for the music test not having been correctly adhered to.

I can't help but think that this year Parmiter's applicants will be having it tough. Surely theere will be an increase in applicants this year, those who would perhaps have previously applied to the grammar, but have changed their minds due to the cross sibling issue; and put Parmiter's instead to keep siblings together? Any thoughts on this, does any one know this to be the case within their circles of friends?
Christie

Post by Christie »

Yes, Watmum, I had thought of that. :(
It also occured to me that the "credit crunch" could mean that some parents who would previously have applied to private schools are now looking at schools like Parmiter's instead :( :(

This is horriblly stressful. Sophie was 1 year old when my oldest daughter got in and 2 when my son started there. She has literally grown up going in and out of the school for various events and sports fixtures. I keep saying encouraging things about our other two choices but the trouble is she knows what she'll be missing if she doesn't get in.
watmum

Post by watmum »

I feel for you, I really do, after all it was not that long ago that she would have been admitted to the school as a "split sibling", can not remember when that rule was abolished?

Realistically, what do you think of her chances, is she an academic high flyer, or musical, or do you live really close?
Christie

Post by Christie »

I know - it's sickening that they had to get rid of the split sibling rule.
To be honest I think her chances are slim :( .
She is bright but not what I would call academically gifted and we don't live near enough to get in on distance.
We applied under music but I think nerves go the better of her and she didn't do well enough in the theory test ( despite being fine when she practiced) to get called back for an audition so no joy on that score either.
tense

Post by tense »

Christie

I really feel for you too. I was one of those who posted last year & my DD was lucky enough to get Parmiter's. One of her friends arrived via the CI list but I don't know of any others.

I'll be looking out for your news.

T x
Sressed but survivor

Post by Sressed but survivor »

MY DS was on the waiting list last year for Parmiters at number 1 on the Academic list, and had scored the same as other children who were offered a place but who lived nearer. (Annoying!) I knew a family who had a place at parmiters and who had no intention of taking it and consequently I believe at least one place was freed up between the July induction date and September.
Two years ago they went at least to number 4 on one of the waiting lists (which is elsewhere explained as 4 per place) because that place got filled by a boy from my DS's primary school.
The Admissions officer was very helpful at all stages in the process.
Good luck!
Christie

Post by Christie »

Thank you for your good wishes.
I remember from my older daughters application how helpful the admissions lady is at Parmiter's - I think it is still the same person as ten years ago. Given the number of calls she must take from stressed out parents, she is incredibly patient and helpful.

Don't want to wish time away but I just want March 2nd to come so that I know what is happening. If she doesn't get in to Parmiter's we will definitely go on the CI list but, depending on whether she gets her second or third choice we will also have to consider whether or not we can appeal.
watfordmum66

Post by watfordmum66 »

Hi

I am also waiting for 2nd with baited breath,

within our circle of friends and from discussions in the playground parents have certainly changed their order of preference. There has been a feeling that many more will apply for Parmiters.

Parents I know who last year would have put Queens as their third preference as a " banker " have now put as second.

I think this is also due to needing to have a realistic banker after last years allocations when parents were offered BH ( in my area )which was a change from previous year
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now