WGSB vs Rickmansworth

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Jam

WGSB vs Rickmansworth

Post by Jam »

Hi- we are in a dilemma. Currently debating the merits of Watford boys vs Rickmansworth school. Our son has the score for both but is leaning towards Rickmansworth school mainly because it’s familiar and he fears that WGSB will be too ‘posh.’ My husband and I like both but feel that WBGS has the edge? Would really welcome any advice as finding this whole process very stressful!
peterpan72

Re: WGSB vs Rickmansworth

Post by peterpan72 »

Hi- are you in catchment area for both, what score did you get???
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Where did your ds get the idea that Watford boys is posh?

What does he actually mean by that? DG
Jam

Post by Jam »

We are inner catchment- score of 225, so Watford boys is not guaranteed but there is a reasonable chance. I think he equates high academic standards with being ‘posh’. Obviously I understand that’s it’s a state school of mixed ability- I just am curious about the benefits of Ricky vs Watford boys. Does anyone have experience of either or both? Thank you
Sunnyrosegarden

Post by Sunnyrosegarden »

I have a child in each school, and am actually very happy with both schools. Both my boys scored highly in the Consortium test, and music test, and had a genuine choice of schools.

One of my boys was clearly much more comfortable at Ricky, having looked around both schools several times. The co-ed, more arty environment suits him, even though he is academic. There has been a churn of teachers in some subjects, but pastoral care has been fantastic, and his gsce targets are all 8's and 9's. Fantastic experience.

Second child, probably less self motivated, bit day dreamy, and needed a bit more stimulation day to day. The sheer pace of Watford Boys excites him and he loves it. He is so dreamy, he doesn't notice the lack of girls, or the more competitive edge to the school.

To be honest, we let each child choose, and it's worked well for us. If I had to choose again, I would do exactly the same.

Oh, neither school is posh. Watford is a more public school in outlook, but the children are not posh.
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

Does he have a subject that seems like a passion or potential passion? I had a dd who was into biology as soon as she could move/speak and it was apparent and has never wavered. The other dd is more general in interests but clearly needed more challenges, loved books and making things at the time the choice had to be made for secondary. She’s got a good DT department and wide range of other subjects under way now for GCSEs.

We looked carefully at the relevant departments in schools and for what it’s worth, recent exam grades profiles, how many teachers, department web profiles if any and numbers sitting including in our case, bias towards sexism in subject choice (v few girls taking physics in co-ed? A black mark).

Obviously schools and kids are dynamic and teachers leave, subjects rise and fall, but it worked well for us. We just made the best use we could of the info available to us to try to suit the child.