Watford consortium

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Dar

Watford consortium

Post by Dar »

Well, finally got the news we expected but not so sure we're happy with that anymore.
It seems that WGs and Parmiters selective intake this year was down to 25% of the total, reduced from 35% in previous years. It also seems that a 25% was tried in the past with not very good results: that particular cohort, which I understand is now in y 10, brought down academic attainment and has strained schools resources (i.e., teachers' times) as they have to deal with discipline issues.
There is still a positive side, which is that given the policy of banding the pupils, this 25% could sail through. My concern is that our dd, though obviously clever, unless challenged is prone to fall by the way side, and therefore, be banded downwards.
Wouldn't it be better to look for reallocation in the OOC grammar (second choice) whose cohort is more homogeneous?
Welcome any input.

Dar
TMW

Post by TMW »

I'm not sure I understand, sorry, can you explain further?
scared mum

25% ability

Post by scared mum »

Hi Dar,

Not sure i'd agree really, the drop from 35% to 25% meanse that there are 18 fewer places going to those tested on ability.

In previous years all girls with siblings at girls' school and all boys with siblings at boys' school naturally got a place but not definate;y students with 'cross siblings'.

With the 18 free places this means that more students that have a sibling at the opposite grammar school have a better chance. Obviously these students do not necessarily have to sit the test but it does mean that these students' parents, like us, have gone **** for leather trying to get their kids a place and so therefore have very supportive parents who are extremely supportive of their kids learning.
scared mum

Post by scared mum »

just noticed the ****. Sorry, wasn't thinking straight! stressfull day!
Dar

Post by Dar »

Hi Scaredmum

My point is that I think those 18 places go to catchment area, increasing such criteria beyond the point of making the school appealing for its future academics. At lest, in what it respect to Parmiters, I think it'll certainly have a detrimental effect.

Dar
WP

Re: Watford consortium

Post by WP »

Dar wrote:Well, finally got the news we expected but not so sure we're happy with that anymore.
It seems that WGs and Parmiters selective intake this year was down to 25% of the total, reduced from 35% in previous years. It also seems that a 25% was tried in the past with not very good results: that particular cohort, which I understand is now in y 10, brought down academic attainment and has strained schools resources (i.e., teachers' times) as they have to deal with discipline issues.
There is still a positive side, which is that given the policy of banding the pupils, this 25% could sail through. My concern is that our dd, though obviously clever, unless challenged is prone to fall by the way side, and therefore, be banded downwards.
Wouldn't it be better to look for reallocation in the OOC grammar (second choice) whose cohort is more homogeneous?
Such timing! It may be difficult to get onto the waiting list for a school you've already rejected; perhaps you'll want to read up on the Bucks 12+.

I presume that you're referring to the Girls' school, as Parmiter's and the Boys' school had lots of siblings that year, admitting 5 and 8 children by distance respectively, while the Girls' school admitted 37. (There's a lot of variation between years.) That cohort did their KS3 last year, with their L5 results down about 1% and their L6 results down about 5% from the previous year, and still higher than some Bucks grammars. So they pulled up many of those distance admissions, and my impression is that they challenge the more able too. (As scared mum said, it's not just 25%: many of those admitted as siblings would be at the same level.)

You present homogeneity of the fully selectives as an advantage, but you'd want to be sure that the school you select is also giving extra challenges to their more able students.

A larger cloud on the horizon is the future of the cross-sibling rule between the WGs.
guestwat

Post by guestwat »

I don't think that Watford grammars are suddenly going to go downhill having 10% fewer so called "academic" children. I think many of the cross sibling children who got in as siblings this year would probably have got in as academics in previous years.

You make the assumption that "bright" children behave better than those less bright. My daughter at WGS says that one of the brightest in her year group is one of the most disruptive!

I am delighted my son has now been offered a place at the boys' school!

Can you reject a first choice offer and then expect a second offer?